Use Headphone with mic in PC

vigneshnm

Broken In
Hi,

This seems like a very noob question but I haven't found any answers till now.

I have an MSI 970A-G43 board (Realtek audio manager) with 6 audio ports. I connect an Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker to the line out port. This speaker has an earphone and mic port on it and to the earphone port, I connect my Philips headphone with mic. I do this so that I can use the speaker or earphone whenever I want and don't have to mess around with the connectors at the back.

While I can hear through the headphone, I can't use the mic. Even if I connect the Philips headphone directly to the PC (line out port), I'm unable to use the mic.

I know there are splitters (adapters?) available that split the cable into speaker and mic cables that I can connect to the line out and mic in ports respectively. However, I was wondering if there is any way to use the mic without this setup, just like we do on our mobiles. In addition, would such a splitter/ adapter reduce the audio quality?

Thanks,
Vignesh

- - - Updated - - -

It turns out there is no other way to use such headphones but use the splitter. But getting that has been a tough job too, none of the local computer shops are even aware of the existence of such a product. Amazon and flipkart didn't prove any more useful. Finally found it on ebay.

You get the most unexpected things on ebay....

Top Bottom