USB STICK IN FEDORA CORE 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

banned2wise

Broken In
I think KUDZU will be available in FC4 . Its a h/w recogonition tool afaik. U get a red screen(normally) it asks u abt the detected devices. I haven't config'ed my usb drivee, but use it by selecting the option, "Do nothing". As soon as u do this, u can mount ur usb drive. If u want to use it next time, u have to run kudzu again.

Iam not aware of config'ing the usb drive, so somebody else may help ye,till then u can use this temporary soln.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Insert the USB stick. GNOME will automount your stick and automatically open your file manager. You can then copy paste files into it.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
If it doesnt do it auto, please issue the following command from terminal

Code:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb

provided you have a directory named /mnt/usb.

banned2wise

Broken In
Even KDE in my knoppix detects it , but doesnt auto mount it , i mount it and transfer files.

@GNURag: I wasnt aware about GNOME , autodetection.

Can u tell me how to config the stick with kudzu instead ??

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
all u need is to started kudzu as a service (It does by default). kudzu is smart enough to recognize your usb stick and automount.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
@banned2wise, Ubuntu on my machine auotedects and automounts my thumb drive and opens Nautilus for me.

It even autotects my digital camera's internal and CF memory and opens its contents in nautilus.

kudzu is a RedHat specific utility which is not bunduled with other distros. Most modern kernels autodect plug and play hardware and leave vital information inside /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog . Looking at these files gives vital information what the new device is.

sba

Journeyman
Ubuntu is a gnome based distro and gnome has enhanced HAL support (Hardware Abstraction Layer). It is the new thing in Linux world where your drives, USB sticks, Cameras and other such storage media "just work".

KDE doesn't support HAL as much as Gnome does. So if you want to have those automount kind of features then you should start using Gnome. KDE can be enabled with HAL (separate installation...configuration) and stuff but it still has things to iron out.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
You dont need "Kudhzu" to install an USB disk. It is an removable media. I have removed 'kudzu' from init5 (service - to reduce bootimes) and My Sony USB disk gets detected fine under GNOME. As soon as I plug it in, it gets detected and automounted.

It just works.

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
GNUrag said:
Insert the USB stick. GNOME will automount your stick and automatically open your file manager. You can then copy paste files into it.

Doesn`t work.How to do it in FC3.Do I have to create a folder and mount it like fat partitions ?

gauravnawani

Journeyman
While the gnome or KDE is running just put the disk in to any free usb port, It should get auto mounted under /media/usbdisk.
And it will also give the usbdisk icond on the desktop.

What usb version does that your Motherboard have. If its one and the disk supports 2 then you will have problems and I will strongly suggest you not to use it as it may damage it.

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
It worked yesterday itself.I inserted the usb stick and the logged into Gnome.
Gnome automounted the usb but wheras in KDe and Xfce I had to mount it.

@gauravnawani
i tried inserting it while KDE was running but there was not automounting.

whim_gen

Journeyman
@vignesh
Here's an excellent article on how to automount USB sticks in KDE et al
Click Here

Got it somewhere in the same forum i think or the Linux Forums
:D

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Forgot to add please make sure that you unmout it before shutting down or restarting the system.

I had wasted one USB disk this way. :oops:

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Vignesh,

I double checked with SUSE KDE and it works there. It seems SUSE had made some scripts to open up /media/usbdisk(whatever) folder after automounting.

But it did not happen in Fedora4-KDE. Actualy since KDE has not made such automated stuff they behave differently in distributions.

mediator

Technomancer
1.Just make a folder "usb" in /mnt
2.go to console as root
3. command --> "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb"
exit fromconsole
This should make it clear

OP
vignesh

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
It worked,.I inserted the usb stick and the logged into Gnome.
Gnome automounted the usb but wheras in KDe and Xfce I had to mount it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom