USB modem in the USA

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello !

one of my friends is on a voyage, and he will be making rounds to the USA. he mailed me asking advice on buying a USB modem from there. am not much knowledgeable on networking aspects/hardware, etc, and hence earnestly seek advice from our members here. following are his requirements :

1. he needs a USB modem just to browse social-networking websites, internet banking, etc. while he's at ports, so even low speeds would do.

2. his laptop is wifi enabled and he was wondering whether he could make use of that in any manner :|

3. he would be glad if he could get an UNLOCKED modem to be used with any network provider, and at any port/city, just anywhere.

4. the two US port-cities he would be visiting are oakland, and long beach (if this is of any help).

5. should be cheaper.

please let me know whether his requirements are realistic, and any advice on the purchase.

many thanks !

Last edited:

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
:|

I'm not sure how he expects you to answer queries from service providers over there from here :|

Ask him to look at Clearwire.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hehe....thanks ! i will suggest the name to him, as also would recommend to use his laptop when he's out in the city at some wifi hotspot instead.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
he hinted upon that, but i read that only smartphones could be used by way of tethering; and his isnt a smartphone.

Top Bottom