tech_123

Right off the assembly line
I bought a WD My Passport 1 TB hard disk .
Even though it has USB 3.0 connectivity, I am only getting a transfer speed of 40-5- Mbps.
What drivers do i need to install so that i can get Superspeed ?

tkin

Back to school!!
Use this tool to test speed: CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even though it has USB 3.0 connectivity, I am only getting a transfer speed of 40-5- Mbps.

did you get the USB 3.0 cable with the HDD ? your mobo has USb 3.0 port ?

OP, post your motherboard model.

If you use a USB 2.0 device in in USB 3.0 port or USB 3.0 device in a USB 2.0 port, you will get the speeds of USB 2.0. To get usb 3.0 speeds, both, the device as well as the port should be 3.0.

gameranand

Living to Play

Well WD passport is not very good with speeds. :)

OP
T

tech_123

Where can I find the motherboard model ?
Both the device and port are USB 3.0 .The cable is also 3.0
That's not the problem. I think the problems are drivers only.

OP
T

tech_123

I don't know about the motherboard specifications but here is what I know :
I am using dell inspiron N5110 laptop with windows 7 32 bit installed.
(i5 2410M CPU @2.30 GHZ).

Will that suffice ?

OP
T

tech_123

Here is the image of CPU-Z displaying motherboard specifications :

motherboard.jpg

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your laptop has 2x USb 3.0 ports .. just make sure you have installed the USB 3.0 drivers or else update USB 3.0 drivers.

gameranand

Living to Play
I guess 40-50 MB/s is alright. I mean even at others you get around 60-60 MB/s and we already know that WD External HDDs have speed issues. But try updating the drivers it might help but I think that the speed is OK.

OP
T

tech_123

But I read somewhere that with USB 3.0 can get speeds upto 400-500 Mbps !!

I guess 40-50 MB/s is alright. I mean even at others you get around 60-60 MB/s and we already know that WD External HDDs have speed issues. But try updating the drivers it might help but I think that the speed is OK.

Where do I download the drivers from ?

I was getting this much speed from USB 2.0 too !!
Then what is the advantage of 3.0 ?

tkin

Back to school!!

Where do I download the drivers from ?
Its the maximum speed for USB 3.0, does not mean all drives can use it, for example lets say the maximum size of cake a microwave can bake is 3KG, that does not mean you'll always bake a 3KG cake in it.

gameranand

Living to Play
I was getting this much speed from USB 2.0 too !!
Then what is the advantage of 3.0 ?

Yeah actually it depends on the hardware. Theoretically you can get that speed using this connection given the condition that Hardware is able to harness that power. Its the case with any connectivity, even in SATA connection your HDD is hardly able to harness 50& of the connection speed.

quicky008

Technomancer
I have a seagate usb 3.0 external HDD-normally i get speeds of upto 80 Mbps while copying a single 4/6 GB(or bigger)file to it(such as large ISO files)by connecting the drive to my pc's usb 3 port;however when copying several files to it at one go(for instance a folder containing a couple of hundred .jpgs or mp3 files),the speed reduces to around 20-40 Mbps.Therefore,it can be concluded that the write speeds may vary depending upon the type of files you are trying to copy.

Once i had used it to copy some data from my friend's pc,which has only usb 2 ports-there the copying speeds never went beyond 10-25 Mbps.So I think your pc's USB 3.0 ports are functioning properly,otherwise you could never have achieved such high speeds while copying files(i.e. 40-50 Mbps);you have mentioned that you obtained such speeds even while using USB 2.0 but i don't think its possible-I have used several usb 2 drives till date but i never got 40-50 MBps on any occasion.

OP
T

tech_123

Ok.. I'll make peace with the fact that I can't get higher speed.
Does anyone of you know a good case for hard disk ?

Top Bottom