USB 2.0 port problem

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Since yesterday I m getting this popup message

*www.howtogeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/1usb.png

whenever I connect any USB device (pendrive,ipod) to any of the USB port(front/back)

whats the problem ?
my usb port is 2.0 & also all my usb devices..(usb 3.0 is out of scope here)

Pankaj_xPJ

Right off the assembly line
USB 2.0 are of two types...one is USB 2.0 (i.e simple n old one) and another is USB 2.0 High-speed which is faster than USB 2.0....

More Detail Visit:Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
is it the port on mobo or cabinet?

Have you updated drivers to latest? I too have random popups for this. Not regular. But still happens sometimes.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Update Usb Controller Drivers From device manager or better look for latest drivers at mobo manufacturers website.

If you have Oem Intel mobo...there exists settings in Bios to switch between hi speed usb 2.0 and standard usb 2.0 under pherpheral configuration menu.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
this happens to me at least once in 5-6 days & i solve it by reinserting the drive but with slightly more force & a more straight direction into the port.

@Pankaj_xPJ,thetechfreak almost all mobos built after 2003 have usb 2.0 ports & all microsoft OS(XP service pack 1 & later)by default install only usb 2.0 hub drivers.

@Sujeet,there is no such setting as far as i know & if you are referring to usb legacy mode then it is a different thing not related to usb speed.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

@thetechfreak,jojo: its my cabinet USB port (obviously) as the screenshot is of windows OS :lol:

Update: now I haven't got the popup message..but I will surely get the message in future...want to know the root cause?

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Lol....Wth....u didnt get that message.!!!.
waste of .....lol...anyways that message pops up if a device usb 2.0 is plugged into older usb ports....so windows notifies that device can perform faster by plugging it into usb 2.0/3.0 port whicever is available on system.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

waste of .....lol...anyways that message pops up if a device usb 2.0 is plugged into older usb ports....so windows notifies that device can perform faster by plugging it into usb 2.0/3.0 port whicever is available on system.

I know about usb 3.0 & usb 2.0 compatibility level :cool:
& this compatibility has nothing to do with my USB 2.0 devices being used in usb 2.0 ports :|

giprabu

In the zone

nope .. this seems like some sort of serious error.
i dint have that error pop-up for almost a year.. but for the past 10-15 days i keep getting it whenever i plug any usb device in the cabinet's front usb ports.
How come this problem came all of a sudden ??
The back usb ports are totally fine.
I tried connecting the cables to different pins on the motherboard . It worked properly for 2 days and the problem showed up again..

Its really annoying to connect the device everytime to back ports. :(

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
nope .. this seems like some sort of serious error.
i dint have that error pop-up for almost a year.. but for the past 10-15 days i keep getting it whenever i plug any usb device in the cabinet's front usb ports.
How come this problem came all of a sudden ??
The back usb ports are totally fine.
I tried connecting the cables to different pins on the motherboard . It worked properly for 2 days and the problem showed up again..

Its really annoying to connect the device everytime to back ports. :(

Exactly the same problem with mine too!!! front usb ports gives this message back ones works fine
i was thinking to start a thread on this...
Still dont know the root cause
Any experts?:|

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
usb 2.0 devices uses a hanshake protocol(kinda like ADSL sync in modem)to establish a hi-speed connection with host/hub.because of external factors like rusting & wearing/tearing of usb connector or improper insertion resulting in incomplete contact between port & device usb connector this handshake gets disrupted(because of now changed current/voltage/resistance values)& device falls back to usb 1.1 mode.as expected cabinet ports are more vulnerable to such problems compared to mobo ports on back which are of higher quality not to mention directly placed on mobo compared to cabinet front usb ports which are connected by wires to mobo(more resistance & more chances of being affected by change in resistance/current/voltage values because of above factors).

giprabu

In the zone
usb 2.0 devices uses a hanshake protocol(kinda like ADSL sync in modem)to establish a hi-speed connection with host/hub.because of external factors like rusting & wearing/tearing of usb connector or improper insertion resulting in incomplete contact between port & device usb connector this handshake gets disrupted(because of now changed current/voltage/resistance values)& device falls back to usb 1.1 mode.as expected cabinet ports are more vulnerable to such problems compared to mobo ports on back which are of higher quality not to mention directly placed on mobo compared to cabinet front usb ports which are connected by wires to mobo(more resistance & more chances of being affected by change in resistance/current/voltage values because of above factors).

hm... if that is so, almost everyone must be facing this problem .. and moreover cheap local nameless cabinets must get such kind of problem soon, than the branded ones.(correct me if i'm wrong)
none of my friends got this error(they are not even heard of it when i asked them about it) and 3-4 of them have local cabbys only.
is there any solution to it other than getting a new cabinet ??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
rusting is a major problem only if you live in a humid enough environment(e.g.just 2-3 kms from a sea beach).more likely it is the improper insertion resulting in a not so tight/fit contact between device & port connector.in cheap/local cabinets usb ports are not so strongly built & an incorrect pressure in wrong direction might result in an improper fit.i have experienced this with my local cabinet when i casually insert pen drive in a not so straight inward direction i sometimes get this error.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
it mostly depends on the environment u use.

i have used a frontech cabby for almost five years. Its usb 2 ports on front got rusty & copper contacts turned black from golden colour. still i barely got some such message from win 7.

OP
Zangetsu

Zangetsu

I agree with some comments that its due to rusting or wires & usb boards in front

Q:how to open the front USB port in NZXT gamma for cleaning?

Top Bottom