[URGENT] On Screen Keyboard not working

rider

as Kratos
I've some issue regarding to windows 7 in my laptop, the problem is the neither the windows on screen keyboard works nor the kaspersky internet security one.
Whenever I try to open windows on screen keyboard it shows C:\Windows\system32\osk.exe A referral was returned from the server.
And in kaspersky the keyboard pops up but whenever I click to type it doesnt works.
Help me!! I can not shop online. :-x

I also reinstalled my antivirus but the same problem. :?

I found that kaspersky on screen keyboard is working on notepad but not in all browsers like firefox, IE 9 and chrome.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
what's the problem with your physical keyboard? Too paranoid to use it while shopping?

Have you never heard of viruses and malware comes from physical keyboard in windows? Why kaspersky give feature of on screen keyboard? hmm
If you don't know anything.. stop saying rubbish.

trublu

Ta da !
brother, I didn't comment just to crack a joke on you or something. I wanted to know the reason why you didn't opt for the physical keyboard. I'm sorry if you feel offended in any way, but there's no need to burst out like that.

As for your argument, Kaspersky would have provided the feature as an added security measure, on top of the protection it already gives you. And the "viruses and malware" would be blocked by your anti-virus, won't it?

trublu

Ta da !
Exactly. Using a physical keyboard can expose the system to keylogging. Probably that's what the OP had in mind when he said "virus and malware". Then again, that is possible if one is a victim of phishing - correct me if I am wrong.

@rider : One more question, and I should say this before-hand that I don't want you to get angry again :

You do know Windows itself has an on-screen keyboard, don't you?

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
never heard of it...virus/malware coming from keyboard.

vitual keyboard is for preventing keylogging in online transactions :cool:

So key-logging is not virus/malware? :-D I think you should read about keylogging LINK

Exactly. Using a physical keyboard can expose the system to keylogging. Probably that's what the OP had in mind when he said "virus and malware". Then again, that is possible if one is a victim of phishing - correct me if I am wrong.

@rider : One more question, and I should say this before-hand that I don't want you to get angry again :

You do know Windows itself has an on-screen keyboard, don't you?

Please read the main post before commenting.

trublu

Ta da !
Key-logging is not virus. If there's a keylogger monitoring your system (this is the simplest way I can put it), it records your keystrokes. Say I have managed to have a keylogger keeping an eye on your system :p , then whenever you do an online transaction, the KL will record whatever button you press, in the same order. So you see, now I know all your passwords and account numbers. That's what it really is. Why would I want to harm your system when I have access to your money?

@rider, my bad. missed the windows part.

Found something. Try this and let me know if the windows on-screen keyboard works (even better if it fixes Kaspersky issue):

Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc
Now, go to Computer Configuration -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options

There will be something like this towards the bottom :

User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated .

If this is enabled, disable it.

P.S. I found this on another forum, and cannot validate its success.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
So key-logging is not virus/malware? :-D I think you should read about keylogging LINK
Key-Logging is the term used for capturing key-strokes & has both good use & bad use.Its not a virus.
but the application/malicious code running in background doing all key-strokes capturing is a virus/worm/trojan etc.also known as Key-Logger :cool:

& Hardware Keys don't transmit virus/worms its the software tool which does spread the havoc :-D

So,to conclude my statement.
All I can say is Virtual Keyboard is used when typing sensitive/confidential information online (passwords,codes etc) in mostly banking sites & shopping transactions.

for Normal use it alright to use Hard Keys

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Yes, for normal use normal keyboard keys are okay and I know its is not a virus but to use as per my main post I want to order something and I can't use on screen keyboard to avoid malwares or anything which is hazardous.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
many of you seems to be misinformed about keylogging like most people so let me clear it for you.

keyloggers are of 2 types:hardware based & software based.

onscreen keyboard only protects against hardware based keylogger(a device attached between keyboard output & mobo input).no software protection can work against these devices.

windows onscreen keyboard is useless against software based keyloggers since it sends keystrokes just like a physical keyboard using windows API(files for simple understanding) which are monitored by software keyloggers.

because of above reasons online banking sites use virtual keyboard of their own instead of using windows one though even in this case there are ways to steal info.

read these to get a good idea:
Virtual Keyboard and the Fight Against Keyloggers : Palisade
Another story about keyloggers, virtual keyboards and virtual machines

trublu

Ta da !
Personally, I never get the point of on-screen keyboards. I admit it's a secure method of doing these things, but it takes so much time that a person sitting next to you can guess what you just typed :D.

kisame

King of Heroes
Try replacing the osk.exe.
You can get it from your win 7 dvd or image.
If you have win 7 iso,mount it.In sources folder,there is install.wim.Open it with any archiver.You will see your C drive type structure.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
How about getting an on-screen Keyboard extension for your browser? Might do the work.

haha, so that the programmer get all the info what I'm typing.

Try replacing the osk.exe.
You can get it from your win 7 dvd or image.
If you have win 7 iso,mount it.In sources folder,there is install.wim.Open it with any archiver.You will see your C drive type structure.

where to replace please explain?

Top Bottom