[URGENT]How to stop a Fake Mail from spreading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hello readers, I need help regarding this issue.
One of the NGO here in Karnataka is in big problem. A few months back it had conducted a written test for students who cannot afford higher studies, some of the selected candidates would be supported financially for higher studies.

This scholarship exam was over a month ago, and some moron changed the date of the exam to a future one and circulated it on the internet. it is spreading like wild fire and the NGO is getting lot of inquiries via email and phone calls from across India.

How can this be stopped.

If you get any such mails then please do not forward it to others.

here is a extract from the mail
If you have come across any bright students coming from poor financial background who have finished their 10th standard this year (April 2009) and scored more than 80%,please ask them to contact the *********.The NGO is conducting a written test on 14th june and those who clear the test will be eligible for financial help for their further studies.
Thanks

Last edited:
I guess word-of-mouth is your best bet :|

I doubt whether you can do anything else, even reporting such a mail to the email provider wont do much good IMO

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
People who do such things are in the same class as virus makers. However, you said that they give a future date for the test but the date in the part you quoted is 14th June ???

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
If the NGO has a website, ask to put a notice there.
If the mail was coming from one source you can go leagal. But, now it has spread so u can't do anything.

I say, Put notice in Website, NewsPaper and if possible FM channels and TV for next 2-3 days.

staticsid

Team Digit
You could try reverse spreading the mail. Check if the CC addresses show up in the body and mail to all of them asking them to do the same.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Thanks for the reply guys :)

The website is updated with this issue.
Other issue is that news papers across India are publishing this, without verifying with the NGO.
They are getting about 1000+ calls per day regarding this. My friend is considering putting this in News papers as well as in TV.

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
However, you said that they give a future date for the test but the date in the part you quoted is 14th June ???

This mail started from that date and inquiries were very low. now some bugger has changed it to 14th July and spreading it again. This is happening from last one week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom