Urgent Help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooldip10

In the zone
I bought this new configuration Desktop from Nehru Place , New Delhi some two months backs. And due to my college works couldn't see into it properly.

To my surprise I recently found that my Gfx Card is nVidia 9600M GT.. Very Strange, as 9600M GT is a GPU for notebooks. I checked up the software bundled with it and found that its something " 180.2 (Custom) Forceware ".
I am very very angry with this and I want to charge the shopkeeper for case of "fraud" or " providing wrong information " so that some serious action can be taken which will keep other buyers safe from frauds.
How Can I file a complaint in this at Consumer Court India?
I am serious with this issue of "Piracy in hardwares".
Please any help will be appreciated.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I'm not sure I get your point. How exactly is it piracy to buy a piece of computer hardware and fit it where you like, as the shop seems to have done? It's not the same as making illegal copies of software.

If the seller sold it to you specifically as a normal 9600GT, then he lied to you and you may have reason to complain. But that's between you and him, and still does not violate the manufacturer's rights.

aswin1

Journeyman
Check your bill and see which GPU it shows. If it is different from what you have you can go to the consumer court. Don't think anyone would use a notebook GPU on a Desktop.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I'm not sure that notebook GPU can be used with a desktop at all.

It's obviously an issue with the driver since it says 180.2 (custom) Forceware.

Uninstall the drivers and download the latest drivers from nVidia. Then Use GPU-Z and post a screenshot.

*www.filehippo.com/download_gpuz/

OP
cooldip10

cooldip10

In the zone
Pics of proof

Here is a copy of bill:
*img198.imageshack.us/img198/1552/billcopy.th.jpg

@ aswin: See the 9600GT (1GB) mentioned there.. but that son of a.. sold me 9600M GT

Here are some screen shots:
GPUZ:

*img196.imageshack.us/img196/6559/gpuz1d.th.jpg

*img196.imageshack.us/img196/6053/gpuz2j.th.jpg

DXDiag:

*img198.imageshack.us/img198/5143/dxdiag1.th.jpg

*img198.imageshack.us/img198/7567/dxdiag2.th.jpg

@ drvarun : I don't think there is any software problem. I tried to update using 9600GT drivers and it gave an error msg no compatible hardware found.

It is surprising that fraud can happen at this level also.. I mean you can actually custom a notebook graphics card for using it on a desktop.

paroh

Padawan
Is it is onboard graphic card or PCI-E graphic card. and please also tell the motherboard model number.
Code:
*www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html
Code:
*www.nvidia.in/object/geforce_9600m_gt_in.htmlhttp://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce_9600m_gt_in.html
I think it is not possible as u can see the PICS of 9600M GT and 9600GT as they both uses different type of SLOTS and u can also try to open ur cabinet and see the GPU

9600M GT
Code:
*i131.photobucket.com/albums/p312/MidnightRacer86/DSC01009.jpg
9600GT
Code:
*www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_9600gt_us.html

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
This should be a mistake done at manufacturer's side. Actually, it costs more to manufacture a mobile GPU than a desktop GPU. Call the distributor of that graphics card and check with them.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
I don't think the shopkeeper did anything wrong. He just opened the box, installed the GPU and handed it to you. I don't think he was aware of this problem himself.
Contact the manufacturer directly.

BTW what does the GPU box and manual say about the specifications?

OP
cooldip10

cooldip10

In the zone
@ pahro: It is a PCIe Card. Not an onboard gfx. I know the difference very clearly. The motherboard is ASUS's which has intel onboard gfx.
I uploaded the dxdiag images to clarify that only...

@drvarun : Manufacturer is ZIPPYS (what a company). I will call the shopkeeper only. The box has two stickers one says (from Distributors/Importerted by) 9600GT and other says 9600M GT..

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
dude. Take a print out of those CPU-Z snapshots and the card to the dealer. tell him that it's not what it is. And you paid 6.2k for that card? Palit and other big brand cards are available for 5.5k.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
You are a member of this forum since 2005 so it's not like you don't know about GPU brands.
Why did you even agree to buy a "zippy" GPU?

Anyways you have every right to return the card since it's not the chipset you paid for.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
How the hell did u get ur hands on a MOBILE GPU? Whoa!!

And 9600M GT will be useless, lemme tell you why:

Desktop 9500GT DDR3 = Mobile 9600GT DDR3
Desktop 9400GT DDR3(if there) = Mobile 9600GT DDR2

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around
Re: Check the connection

Check the connection at the back of the cabinet and post the specifications of the motherboard.

Often my clients would connect the monitor to the rgb socket of the motherboard (below the keyboard jack)and use only the on-board grafix card.

The PCIx Grafix card remains unused as the motherboard doesnt show it.

The monitor jack needs to be connected to the gfx card jack far below. (horizontally oriented panel).

I really dont know how a M series card can be packed into the PCIX board. Mobile versions are not available for retail and come only thru OEM partners.

If still problem persists u have a genuine case. Fault is probably manufacturers.

Shadowfax2009

Wandering around
I wrote in bold just to say that I have seen atlest 10 cases of such misconnections. If u r sure of connections I am sorry. Plz post the exact model number of your motherboard.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
^^ What you're saying is certainly possible in some cases but there is no mobo offering the 9600M as the onboard GPU. The best integrated nVidia GPU is the 9300M/9400M.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
was checking at Zippy's product lineup and there is no mention of Graphics card.

*www.zippysltd.com/productpage.html

Now, I seriously doubt the authenticity of that graphics card.

OP
cooldip10

cooldip10

In the zone
I am regretting now for that foolish act of mine. I asked the shopkeeper for company's authenticity atleast 5 times before buying. From now on no more attention on shopkeepers' advices. I will always buy from the list I will prepare from home.

@ everybody.
I talked to the shopkeeper via phone and the idiot told me that there is no difference between 9600 GT and 9600M GT also saying a 'M' makes no different. My bro asked him about XFX gfx card and guess what an idiotic answer came "XFX ne apna production bandh kar diya hai.. Zippy acha chalta hai.. "
the shopkeeper told me to come on working days and he will get it checked by the manufacturer/ distributor, if there is some genuine mistake he will find some solution.
I am surely gonna show him the difference (through print outs) and will make him exchange this rubbish from the actual GPU I paid the money for.

@ desiibond: I am also thinking the same.. what will happen if he refused to repair under warranty in three years...

@ Shadowfax2009 : I checked the ports dude.. and it is fine with connections. Absolutely no prob in that.. Mine is a genuine case of accidental interchange of graphics card..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom