Urgent help Needed :: UPS for Corsair TX850W

cosmos

Broken In
Hi Guyz,

I got myself a Corsair TX850W SMPS which is connected to APC500W UPS. But the problem is that this UPS is not able to supply power to the SMPS for even 1sec when there is a power failure:-(:-( Result is that the CPU just trips. This has happened no. of times and i am afraid if this continues my Hard disk or M/B or Processor might also go kapput. :|

Please can someone suggest me any good UPS which can withstand this SMPS.
MY CPU config is Core i7 930 with MSI X-58 Pro-E motherboard. 2graphics cards 9600GT connected with 3 harddisks and 4cabinet fans.

Monitor - Viewsonic VX1940W monitor (But the UPS trips even when i connect only the CPU with it and leaving the monitor on the spike board.)

Urgent help requested ...Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Cosmos

arijit_2404

still find time for games
Hi Guyz,

I got myself a Corsair TX850W SMPS which is connected to APC500W UPS. But the problem is that this UPS is not able to supply power to the SMPS for even 1sec when there is a power failure:-(:-( Result is that the CPU just trips. This has happened no. of times and i am afraid if this continues my Hard disk or M/B or Processor might also go kapput. :|

Cheers,
Cosmos

While I'm unable to suggest you anything, but couldn't resist myself to issue a comment on your problem.

I''ve Corsair TX750W with APC 500VA UPS. It's currently running on 3rd battery and never needed any workshop visit apart from battery change purpose. :) My UPS still gives at least 3/3.5 mins before it starts beeping and though I've not tried I'm sure it can withhold around 5 mins before shuts off.

Could this be your battery issue? Maybe it's needed a battery change. :?:

OP
cosmos

cosmos

Broken In
@arijit - thanks for the quick reply. I replaced the battery 2months back, so dont think this is a battery issue.

My friend has the same UPS with Corsair 850TX SMPS but he is getting a backup of 5mins. He is having an i5 rig though and a much smaller monitor. But as i mentioned before the problem here is not with monitor but huge power drainage from my CPU. Dont know why my CPU is so power hungry!! :(

Ny more suggestions??

Cheers,
Cosmos

Also i forgot to mention, when the power goes the UPS keeps beeping but the CPU trips! Strange na!!

Last edited:

arijit_2404

still find time for games
Hi Guyz,

MY CPU config is Core i7 930 with MSI X-58 Pro-E motherboard. 2graphics cards 9600GT connected with 3 harddisks and 4cabinet fans.

Monitor - Viewsonic VX1940W monitor (But the UPS trips even when i connect only the CPU with it and leaving the monitor on the spike board.)

Ok, my guess your PSU is going boom not only for power hungry processor, but also you've 3 hard discs and SLI configuration. So I guess, that's the reason it's giving you troubles.

Yesterday, I read in other topic that APC does have 1KV UPS that costs around 4.5-4.7k. Look for that.

rajan1311

Padawan
@cosmos : had the ditto same issue, no support for even 1sec. See my sig for config. It turned out to be a fault in the UPS, the internal circuit was damaged and the battery died prematurely. I got the battery replaced for Rs1000 and repair job cost Rs300, and now I get around 2min of backup time, with monitor on UPS.
Even I am from bangalore, i had asked balaji enterprise in BTM layout, check out just dial for service centers near you place...

The UPS can give max 300W output, it will give an overload warning at some 200W itself, but should not shut down. If you can afford a new UPS, get the 800VA one, but it is pretty costly..

Last edited:
OP
cosmos

cosmos

Broken In
Ok, my guess your PSU is going boom not only for power hungry processor, but also you've 3 hard discs and SLI configuration. So I guess, that's the reason it's giving you troubles.

Yesterday, I read in other topic that APC does have 1KV UPS that costs around 4.5-4.7k. Look for that.

@cosmos : had the ditto same issue, no support for even 1sec. See my sig for config. It turned out to be a fault in the UPS, the internal circuit was damaged and the battery died prematurely. I got the battery replaced for Rs1000 and repair job cost Rs300, and now I get around 2min of backup time, with monitor on UPS.
Even I am from bangalore, i had asked balaji enterprise in BTM layout, check out just dial for service centers near you place...

The UPS can give max 300W output, it will give an overload warning at some 200W itself, but should not shut down. If you can afford a new UPS, get the 800VA one, but it is pretty costly..

^^right!
Same case happened to me. UPS circuit was damaged.

@rajan1311 - Small word as I also stay in btm, bangalore. :) I however got my UPS serviced at Kormangala regarding circuit board defects.

Problem is that the UPS is working fine on my friend PC but not working on mine. So i have a strong doubt its a UPS problem. Guess i have to get those 800VA UPS to solve this. Will check in SP Road tomorrow, but problem is that i am too low on budget right now and don't have any mind on spending 6-7k on a UPS. But looks i am out of options.

APC will be good right? Any other brands?

Cheers,
Cosmos

Guyz,

Checked on ebay for APC UPS and found these two.
1. eBay India: APC Back-UPS RS 1100VA 230V 1100 (BR1100CI-IN) - EMI (item 250682003116 end time 12-Sep-2010 10:39:48 IST)
2. eBay India: APC 800 VA Back UPS - BR800-IN 800VA (item 320582903310 end time 28-Sep-2010 18:01:24 IST)
The difference is quite minimal between 1100 and 800VA.Guess i have to go for the 1100 but 5.5k :(

Any suggestions where i can sell my old UPS?

Cheers,
Cosmos

Last edited:

rajan1311

Padawan
buddy, getting higher powered UPS may not fix it, since that does not seem to be the issue..

Ok, if you are getting AC main supply and the system is at full load (say gaming), does the UPS give an overload warning ? If yes, then the issue is the UPS power, else no.

OP
cosmos

cosmos

Broken In
I dont have any overload button or so... The CPU just trips when current goes. But the same UPS acts fine when connected to my friend's desktop i.e. gives backup for 6-8min with monitor and speakers connected.

Cheers,
Cosmos

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
First of all, let's clear up some misconceptions. It's not your PSU that's tripping your UPS, (unless the PSU is defective). It's the load on the PSU, i.e., the rest of the computer, that's overloading the UPS.

The PSU itself does not use up a lot of power. It's a device for controlling and converting mains AC to 12V, 5V, etc and passing them on to the CPU, HDD, graphics card, etc. In the process, it does waste some power which turns into heat, which is why a PSU needs a cooling fan. But this wasted power is relatively small.

Your system is fairly power-hungry - two gfx cards of an older generation which are not power-efficient, a powerful processor, three hard disks, etc. The combined power drawn by these parts (plus some power wasted inside the PSU) is simply too much for your UPS.

You already have an idea that you need a UPS of higher power rating. That's correct, but it's not because of the PSU.

rajan1311

Padawan
there is no overload button, the UPS will give a long continuous beep when overloaded.

Ask around if anyone near you has a higher powered UPS, the 650VA version is very common, try it with that.

OP
cosmos

cosmos

Broken In
Got hold of one of my friend's Digital 650VA UPS to check this problem. It has 3 LEDs: Backup, Normal and Charge.
Normally when this UPS goes into battery mode the red light blinks with the beep sound. But when I connected my system with this one, the UPS tripped giving a long continuous beep and there was also no backup.

Cheers,
Cosmos

Top Bottom