[urgent] Accessing Desktop HardDrive on Laptop Using Sata Enclosure.

Hrishi

Hi,
Recently my Rig got smoked , so I am left with 1TB HDD and 250GB hDD.

In order to access the data stored on them , I brought a Sata Enclosure [sata II to usb converter. Supports upto 1 TB.]
I am able to use the 250GB hardDrive w/o any problems through the sata converter. It was my primary boot drive for the the Rig.
However I am not able to use the 1TB HDD[ was storage device on the rig. no OS installed on it., system partition was on 250GB . ] , because the system is detecting it , but not showing up the partitions.
I was running different OS on the PC , including XP , Win7, Win8 , and even Fedora and Backtrack on 250gb partition.

THe 1TB HDD is of Dynamic partition type and needs to be converted to Basic , but I don't want to loose any data on it at all.

Is there any way we can get it done ?? I think all the partitions were logical on it.
I have tried easus partition magic but it doesn't provides me with an option to convert it to basic.

Need Urgent help on this matter.

PS : I have almost 3 TB of extra storage space right now , I can backup the 1TB Data on it if its possible anyhow , then I can wipe it up and convert into basic partition.

Edit : Okay I was wondering what if I install linux on the Laptop and try to access the 1TB HDD. Will it work ???

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i say don't risk it.in my experience using hdd enclosures is never a good idea.desktop drives are not designed to be moved around frequently drawing power from an adapter directly connected to power board.just use a friend's desktop to connect your hdd & copy paste the needed data into laptop via lan.also many softwares don't support dynamic disks through usb.

OP
Hrishi

Hrishi

i say don't risk it.in my experience using hdd enclosures is never a good idea.desktop drives are not designed to be moved around frequently drawing power from an adapter directly connected to power board.just use a friend's desktop to connect your hdd & copy paste the needed data into laptop via lan.also many softwares don't support dynamic disks through usb.

Thanks, As such also I was going to sell the internal HDD and buy an external one in few weeks because of huge size.
BTW , I tried a software to convert to basic from dynamic(dynamic disk converter). It was successful , but however I lost a 350GB multimedia partition.Had ~200 TOp IMDB FHD movies on it. :(

Now somehow trying to recover the data using easus recovery tool.

Top Bottom