!!!UPS Modding!!! + >>>Increase Backup time Manyfold<<< I have done it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
thanks man.... thatzcool.

anyways now i am looking fwd to do my PC MOD!! :D
havebeen thinking for a long time and i hope it will look greate too...

cyrux

In the zone
Wow man... really cool setup. You must have been really brave to do that. Although i am a electronic engg. student i would never dare to open my ups and do some modding

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

well that is what happens after u have completed a century of electric shocks. LOL :D

seriously. before i was a computer geek i was a electronic hobbiest.. i think from around class 9.

i have built some heavy duty electric circuits. like heavy duty stabilizer(5kva), a 100W inverter, two way talkey thru electrical wiring, multi volt adapters and stuff...

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Rollercoaster said:
well that is what happens after u have completed a century of electric shocks. LOL :D

seriously. before i was a computer geek i was a electronic hobbiest.. i think from around class 9.

i have built some heavy duty electric circuits. like heavy duty stabilizer(5kva), a 100W inverter, two way talkey thru electrical wiring, multi volt adapters and stuff...

Congratulations from a similar person who used to get electric shocks from Pre Degree times and even designed and published a circuit for giving high voltage shocks using a single pen torch cell and got it published in the now extinct "Electronic Hobbyist" and got Rs.20 royalty 30 years back.
Pl dont misunderstand, Just being nostalgic.
BTW, is the charger an SMPS type?
The battery, if it was a tubular one could have given you a much longer back up and lasted upto 10 years, but of course you preferred this one to reduce cost.
Keep it up and let it be an inspiration to others.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

janitha said:
Congratulations from a similar person who used to get electric shocks from Pre Degree times and even designed and published a circuit for giving high voltage shocks using a single pen torch cell and got it published in the now extinct "Electronic Hobbyist" and got Rs.20 royalty 30 years back.
Pl dont misunderstand, Just being nostalgic.

thanks man. that is cool. i never got anything published on hard paper ever...

janitha said:
BTW, is the charger an SMPS type?
The battery, if it was a tubular one could have given you a much longer back up and lasted upto 10 years, but of course you preferred this one to reduce cost.

NO the charger is a simple transformer(with 8 intermediate taps to select current/voltage) in series with a 10A diode. for pulse charging which is best for these local battries.

i got 20mins extra backup with this new charger. becuause it does not use a full bridge rectifier but a single diode we get stronger pulses. they are bets for charging these local made battries.

i dont know much abt battries internals or structure but 3.5 hrs avg backup is quite enought for me.

Last edited:

XtraOrdinary

Right off the assembly line
aree yaar.. kya baat hai...
but i think this is too big for me to try.
i would really like to get in contact with u roller... i have sending u private message. please respong.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

:) yes this mod is only for experienced people. and playing with high voltages is never easy but cool.

The results are amazing.

BTW i replaced teh local 150ah battry and put in a Exide power 180AH battry. Backup is up by 1.5 hrs.

The thing bad is that now in uttaranchal light problems are going low as the tehri Dam project has started production . So now no power faliures. :-( i donno if i should eb happy or sad.

for the last week there has been power loss fro less then 1 min.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

-----[posting after a long time]-----

hellgate said:
hi
wanted some help to inc my UPS backup time.
currently i own a Powercom 1kva ups which has 2 12v 7ah batteries inside and has provision for connecting 2 external batteries (in series).my q is if i connect 2 12 65ah abtteries in series externally will the UPS work without being damaged??also will the bateries be charged correctly.
if not then wats the highest capacity battery that i shall be able to connect externally??

u need to consider-
1. charging current - you need find out if ur ups can provide sufficient charging current. cause if the internal charger is only able to produce the current req for the internal battries or a little more then large outside battries will take for ever to charge. but it does not have any -ve affect on the working of anything

2. backup time/temperature - a ups is designed to provide small backup time and as such has minimal or no ventilation. so if that is the case then refrane from attaching too big batteries. cause when running on battery power u have a chance of burn out due to over heating but this can be checked by feeling the temp of the ups by hand to see if it is getting too hot. if yes then u cant keep it running for too long otherwise no probs. my own personal expert test is to take a damp cloth and touch it on the transformer core metal for a few seconds then lift it up and check for steam. :) gotta be careful too.

in essence, the size of the battery has no harmful affect on a UPS except affects of temperature on prolonged use. that also due to poor ventilation design of UPSes for compactness.

65ah batteries should not be a problem. btw y dont u call/email the company support and ask then what charging current and what battery size ur ups can support.

in my mod i used a ups that is very poorly designed for ventilation so i installed a fan. u can try that too. works gr8

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Nice Post! Rollercoaster...
Good that you brought it up:)
Will try out this in my UPS once the battery goes down...:rolleyes:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
dont think i will try that! but it is nice of you to share your mod , lets learn a bit how things goes around...
it is too risky for just about anybody to try...maybe you should put up a warning ...not to be attempted if you have no background in electronics

waiting to see how u goin to mod your pc

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Yes that's right. you need intimate knowledge with hobby electronics and a heart for a few electric shocks to be able to play around with mains electricity. And you have to be ready for the off chance that things may blow up. :D

But it is not that bad after u get over ur initial fear :) after all electronics is very logical. Now unless you are careless there is not much to be worried about. As all contact with the electronic components is done in a OFF state. In the ON state all you do is monitor. The only danger is our own fear.

Going on a date is probably more dangerous. :p

BittooTheBe(A)sT

Right off the assembly line
Wow Man this is the most innovative post i've ever seen at any forum.

Bravo Boy Bravo!

Though i won't try this at home coz in this part of delhi we always get full time power supply but i'm really impressed by your work.

eureca_eureca

In the zone
Awesome work dude ...need some courage to get to do this mod ..can u write a simple mod to light up inside the computer cabinet to make it look like Anitbiotic Or peace, i think u are the right person to write a tut on this subject :).

If u can write briefly abt the cautions to be taken i am willing to light up my cabinet , ther would be more intrested to follow ur tuts

Thx

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Yes i can write a tutorial for LED lighting inside the cabinate if more people want it. Please post here or pm me.

btw thanks a lot guys. this was one of the more interesting projects i have done. :)

eureca_eureca

In the zone
Yes i can write a tutorial for LED lighting inside the cabinate if more people want it. Please post here or pm me.

btw thanks a lot guys. this was one of the more interesting projects i have done. :)

common dude , dont wait for people to wake up , once u post a thread u will get loads of thanks and replies , dont u think so ? so why wait for response ..i ve requested this in ups modding thread , hardly a few would have come accross my request ...Please do it , i havent seen a tutorial for this any where else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom