!!!UPS Modding!!! + >>>Increase Backup time Manyfold<<< I have done it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
PART1

Hey people. Today i completed my UPS Battery mod!!! :D

What i had: One Numeric Digital 600 UPS
*img164.imageshack.us/img164/3553/numericups27pu.jpg

What I wanted to achieve
1. Long Back up time in the range of 3-4 hours without adding a whole inverter.(yaar a UPS is itself a inverter and a better one)
2. LEDs and Fans in the UPS (has to look cool)

What I used:
1. One 150AH Local made battery (3200rs)
2. One 10A charger(650rs)
2. One 120 MM fan
3. Ultra Bright white LEDs
4. A brightness/fan speed control

What i Did:
1. Open UPS
2. Remove internal battery
3. Add longer battery wires and add terminals to them
4. Parse and locate the internal charger and disable it.(!!!Most Important and very difficult as the circuit need to be understud and modifid)
5. Add more ventilation holes(Lots more heat as now it is expected to give backup for more then 4hrs in comparisn to the earlier 10 minutes)
6. Cutout front panel for ventilation and LED view
7. Install LED in series with variable preset resister
8. Add a switch to enable/disable internal charger
9. Add a switch to enable/disable fan and LED
10. Close it all up
11. Connect to the battery and test
12. Connect External charger
13. Connect PC and finished

TIME to build: 2 Hours

ok here are the pics(I am sorry for the bad image quality.. my camera is junk.)

Opened UPS:
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/7918/image220oc.jpg

*img230.imageshack.us/img230/2729/image235bj.jpg

this is sad only 4 images allowed in one post that too including smiley......anyways i will use multipleposts

Last edited:
OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

PART II

Changed Battery connecters and lengthened them. Attached big battery connectors
*img163.imageshack.us/img163/7248/image264vz.jpg

Testing the new LED with a 3.6v battery
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/3522/image336ig.jpg
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/6854/image352fl.jpg

Install FAN and LED
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/7356/image377co.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

PART III

Installed the FAN and LED(sorry not much visible)
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/2542/image383eg.jpg

Fire it up for the first time
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/5808/image402ke.jpg

Close up everything
*img230.imageshack.us/img230/1607/image424vl.jpg

Install the UPS, connect new battery(u can see the old batteries being put to good use as stand hehe)
*img163.imageshack.us/img163/1636/image447xp.jpg

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Part IV

Finished
*img163.imageshack.us/img163/3159/image452di.jpg

So what do u guys think. if anyone wants to do it tell me . i will put the steps in detail here...

Sourabh

Laptoping
wow, a lot of hard work in there. How long does your system run on the higher rating battery? Compare the results.

I am wondering how long can a laptop last on such a mod, would be a cheaper alternative than a laptop battery or an inverter if you arent taking your laptop to places.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Did you check the results? How long your UPS can give backup, I mean did you test
it? And I want to know the duration (in hours or mins). If you are able to convert
10 min backup UPS to 3 hours or more. That's great work indeed. Post the results
here, so that all can see & appreciate.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
khansdream said:
Great work.

Tell us, what time it is taking to re-charge.

He is using 150 AH battery and 10A charger and so theoretically it should take 15 hours when totally discharged. But let alone being totally discharged, never even let it fall below 10.5V. (This is assuming he uses a 12V battery)

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Hey guys.. thanks for the interest..
havent tested for the max backup time yet but i put the battery in quite a bit charged and it ran for about 3 hours. i am expecting backup time of over 4 hours on a fully charged battery.

Basically it depends on consumption.
My PC is a AMD64 3000+ on A8N SLI Prem with 1gb ram, 3hdd, one dvdrom, one dvdrw. 5.1 speakers, 17inch viewsonic ultrabright crt monitor and the PSU is 500W.

Anyone with a LCD would probabely get backups of over 6 hours.

Also The battry i used is local made so it is not a full rated 150AH. Can say around 135AH. also i read about One Amp current via my multimeter for stand alone UPS Runnig. so it is pretty good.

I will post the final backup time tomo as i will charge the battery full tonight and leave the pc running in the morning.

Anyways the basic math is::
Suppose ur original UPS gives a backup of 10mins.
Usually UpS Battery is a 12v 7AH.(charging at 700ma)
Now suppose u replace it with a 12v 35A battery(the one in a maruti car)
so u should theoretically get 35/7*10 minutes... i.e 50 minutes
I have put in a 150A battery so my theoritical backup should be:
150/7*10 = 214.3 minutes

The formula can be like this:
New Backup time in minutes = Old backup time in Minutes multiplied by New battery capacity in AH divided by Old battery capacity in AH.

One thing to note here is that the old backtime should be the one u got when the ups was new(The battery was at full 7AH capacity)
another thing to note is that the load(PC and periferals) should be same for the above to be accurate.

@Sourabh
Dude if u put on a laptop it will run forever...hehe. A laptop uses very little power. need to know the power rating of the laptop adaptor to tell u the minimum backup time.

@gary4gar
To gain some u have to risk sum. The danger of UPS burning is less then the danger of the PERSON getting electrocuted while modding.
BTW this is the reason i put in a FAN :) (for cooling)
Otherwise alsi i have givin this a lot of thought. U should realise that a UPS has a inbuilt voltage stabiliser on the same transformer. so if the transformer can talk the load of the PC while stepping up/down then it can ofcourse take the load of the PC on battry mode(that is also without stepping up/down)

@khansdream
janitha is right about the charging time calculation. But i am not charging at a full 10A. I have brought a variable current charger and set it on 4A. Besides the light problem here is not that bad that i have to freq use the pc on long battery backup. Whenever needed i can turn up the charging current.

also abt the 10.5v thing. there is a thing about batteries(say 12v) called deep discharge(below 9.8v) and overcharge(above13.5v). whenever these thresholds are crossed there is a 20-30% damage to the power of the battery. that is why auto cut-off chargers are used. and that is why the UPS turns off before the battry is fully discharged. Anyways usually there are full 300 cycles for a battry before is starts to go down in capacity.

Last edited:

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Man, a very gud modding. But still all this must be around 8k to 9k + risk factor.
We can get a fairly gud inverter in its place.

Will try this in a month or two and will definitely get in touch with u.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

casanova said:
Man, a very gud modding. But still all this must be around 8k to 9k + risk factor.
We can get a fairly gud inverter in its place.

Will try this in a month or two and will definitely get in touch with u.

come on dude... where did "8k to 9k" come from, as i said in the 1st post, total cost = battery+charger = 3200+650 = 3850 + misc electronics. Also inverters produce bad electricity(for PC) as PC requires Sine wave and Inverters give TPZi wave. sure, sine wave inverters are also available but they give lower backup(low efficiency) and cost more.

EDIT: here is a pic of the system running of UPS mode and the backup time finally...

The total time it reports is approx 3 and a half hours(running for 2.5hrs and 55mins remaning).
This was done with the system running on Sissandra BurnIN auto cycle and Monitor on maximum monitor brightness. So i am happy to say that at full load i get backup of 3.5 hours.
Probabily on normal usage it will be above 4.25 hours.(as it purely depends on usage it is hard to give a accurate value, like if i am surfing the net then it will be much longer then while i am playing games)

NOTE: It shows the LOAD Incorrect

*img197.imageshack.us/img197/5339/upsmonitor5hx.jpg

Last edited:

casanova

The Frozen Nova
UPS around 2.5k
battery+charger=3850
misc electronics=made a wild guess to add to 8k to 9k.
And where do u fit the fan mate.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

casanova said:
UPS around 2.5k
battery+charger=3850
misc electronics=made a wild guess to add to 8k to 9k.
And where do u fit the fan mate.

UPS is already a must.. whether inverter or not. god help u if u dont use ur PC on a UPS.

And misc eletronics is just wires, LEDS, cooling fan... total less then 100rs

See the pictures above to see where u fit the fan.

Last edited:

casanova

The Frozen Nova
i do use a ups but still its cost has to be taken into account. I cant find any pictures rollercoaster.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

man there are approx 12-14 pics here...cant u see them?

see the source code or press quote on each post to see the image webaddress.

well UPS cost is not taken into account as it is a MOD. The basic idea was to increasing backup capacity. I never thought about the total cost. anyways which ever way u see it, it is cheaper this way and more efficient and safe for the comp

Last edited:

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Alright seen them. Good creativity. Dont know what problem it is. Couldnt see the pics in opera nor in iexplorer.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

thanks. ya i get that creativity comment a lot.

anyways here are a few updates...

I installed a new chargerit charges fast and has better auto cut-off circuit.
It was getting too hot so i installed a pIII fan inside it.
*img224.imageshack.us/img224/6049/image05qf.jpg

here is another look at my creativity. Installing switches is real boring and takes lot of space. besides it makes the front look bad. so i did something new.. I installed jumper pins and use jumbers as switches :)
*img224.imageshack.us/img224/9357/image13zo.jpg

here is where is got the pins from.It is the circuit plate of a CDROM. the one where the IDE cable connects.
Then i heated them and they went thru the plastic like knife thru butter. this is a very convenient method and WORKS!!!
*img221.imageshack.us/img221/5968/collage0uq.jpg

colage by picasa 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom