Upgrading RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aztec_in

Right off the assembly line
Hi everybody,

My PC configuration is Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz, Intel 845GVAD2 motherboard with onboard graphics and sound and 40 GB HDD. I have one 256 MB RAM module (266 Mhz DDR RAM, PC 2100) installed. Now, I want to upgrade my RAM to 512 MB and I am looking for a branded RAM. My mother board supports only 266 Mhz DDR RAM, so what RAM should I buy and how much will it cost?

Last edited:

Anand_RF

Journeyman
I don't know cost, and I'm assuming you wish to buy another 256 mb RAM stick instead of a new 512 stick.
If that's the case, the new RAM you buy should be ideally the same speed, frequency, (if possible brand too) as the existing one.

Mayur

Broken In
If your motherboard have 2 slots try to sell out old 256 and buy a new 512MB stick
if you plan to update your motherboard in nere future go for another 256,
as you wont use 266Mhz RAM on new motherboard

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well .. u can stick in any DDR ram .. only limit would be that , say if u use ddr33 , it'll be used as ddr266 ...

Also .. see if u can sell of the 256 MB and get a brand new stick ..

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
^^
yes........sell away the old stick and get a new 333MHz 512MB stick should cost u 2k ......but it will run @266MHz and not @333MHz..

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
yes sell ur ram and get a new one also u could get more money by selling so u can buy a 1gb ram:D

OP
A

Aztec_in

Right off the assembly line
Thanks guys for your help, I have decided to go for 512 MB of RAM.
I contacted a couple of vendors selling 400 MHz RAM and they say that 400 MHz won't run on my mobo.
But, from the above posts I understand that it should run at 266 MHz, am I correct in my thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom