Upgrading PC, need suggestions.

koolent

Youngling
I am going to upgrade my PC Soon (Fingers Crossed) and so I need a suggestion from all my geek friends as I cannot decide alone and need suggestions. I want an OCable Gaming PC within budget, so suggest the lowest you can.

Basically I want to change:

Motherboard
RAM DIMMs
CPU
and
Chassis

This will do as I got my GPU recently (going to review soon!).

I currently have:

Motherboard - MS-7525 (BostonL)
RAM - 2 GB DDR2 (Samsung)
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 3.1 GHz
and
Compaq Stock chassis

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Crysis 2, Battlefield 3, Dirt 3 all the upcoming titles. Plus, heavy OCing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:Well, Since I am not planning for a whole configuration, about 18k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: YES!

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have a Segate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No, I have an 18.5 Inch 1366 x 768 Compaq W185q.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Hard Drive, GPU, PSU, Monitor, DVD-ROM

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As soon as dad will agree i.e. Soon

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Will be done by me, assembled 6 PCs before :)

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Live at Kota, Rajasthan and I have no hitch purchasing online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Keep it as low as possible and I need a OCable Gaming Platform.

Regards,
Kush

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
is OC absolutely required because in 18k only OC processor is AMD FX aka bulldozer series which is not considered good performance wise compared to core i or even amd's own older phenom II.in 18k you can get i5(non-overclockable) & intel DH67CLB3.also keep in mind that OCing FX series greatly increase power consumption as well as temps so you might have to think about cooling/psu too.

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
Hmm, then I guess I will have to increase the budget by a whole lot! Ok, well, let it be 25k.

Now shoot.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
CPU: AMD FX-8120 @10.2K
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 EVO @7.8K
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 1600MHz 4GB @1.5K
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO @2.1K
Cabinet: NZXT Source 210 @2.5K (you are going to need it, as compaq cabinet is crap, you know that. Ain't it?)

Total: 24.2K

Be happy with this overclockable config. ;)

OP
koolent

koolent

Youngling
Awesome for the price and will go pretty nice and cool with 4 extra fans :p . Nice, I know Compaq Cabby really is sh*t! Drilled some holes for additional fans :D