Upgrading old PC for 25 to 30K

kinkymouse

Right off the assembly line
I have a working computer which is as slow as a bullock cart. I do a lot of Photo and Video editing jobs, and since I have some jobs pending I decided to revamp the rig rather than spending time on troubleshooting.
Here is the questionnaire:
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Lightroom, Photoshop, Premiere and of course Ms Office.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 25 K to 30 K; Computer is a source of income for me. I don’t mind stretching my budget a bit for a quality items.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Dual boot with Win 7/8 & Ubuntu.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I have a Seagate Hard disc 500 Gb plus 2 external hdds of 1000Gb and another one 500Gb external for archiving purpose. I think that this much space is more than enough for any video editing jobs.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I have a Dell S2240L LED 21” monitor and it was replaced only last year.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: As I said, I have HDD, Monitor, two Optical drives and a Keyboard and a mouse ( both Microsoft) which are working in good condition.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: At the earliest.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I will do this myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I live in small town in Kerala near Kollam. The local shops do not stock any quality stuff. I have to depend on online purchase.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I have a working computer based on AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz on Asus M2N68AMplus Motherboard 4 GB DDR2 and a zebronics PSU. I also have a V guard stabilizer. I would prefer AMD based system and Gigabyte boards. The rest is left to your suggestions.

Welcome to TDF :)

FX 8320 (9600)
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P (5600)
G.Skill RipjawsX 1333 MHz 2 GB x2 (4000)
Sapphire R7 240 2 GB (5300)
Antec VP450P (2700)
local cabinet without PSU (900)
APC RS 600 UPS (2500)

total: 30k

get a few cabinet fans too.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
6670 ddr5 version is better & it is easy to get a used one for ~3-3.5 on sites like olx in big cities(won't recommend for out of city deals,only local face-to-face deals).
Radeon R7 240 And 250: Our Sub-$100 Gaming Card Round-Up - The Sub-$100 Graphics Card Market

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
off topic...hey dude welcome..never expected to see someone from kollam here *high five* ;)

OP
K

kinkymouse

off topic...hey dude welcome..never expected to see someone from kollam here *high five* ;)
Not exactly from Kollam but Sasthamcotta. Glad to know someone from the dist. Btw Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Mobo is in tight supply. One shopkeeper even told me that the manufacturer is going to phase out this board( I dont beleive it). If I dont get it can you suggest something else.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Not exactly from Kollam but Sasthamcotta. Glad to know someone from the dist. Btw Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P Mobo is in tight supply. One shopkeeper even told me that the manufacturer is going to phase out this board( I dont beleive it). If I dont get it can you suggest something else.

it is available on flipkart. els you can check out asus m5a97 r 2.0

OP
K

kinkymouse

PHP:
harshilsharma63
Re: Upgrading old PC for 25 to 30K

Welcome to TDF 

FX 8320 (9600)
Antec VP450P (2700)
APC RS 600 UPS (2500)

Can you please suggest a Gpu with GDDR5; I think that DDR 3 cards are reaching the end of the line. Another thing, I have an inverter at home to which the computer is normally connected. I think APC is not required.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
PHP:
harshilsharma63
Re: Upgrading old PC for 25 to 30K

Welcome to TDF 

FX 8320 (9600)
Antec VP450P (2700)
APC RS 600 UPS (2500)

Can you please suggest a Gpu with GDDR5; I think that DDR 3 cards are reaching the end of the line. Another thing, I have an inverter at home to which the computer is normally connected. I think APC is not required.

make sure the inverter is working in ups mode. with the money saved, you can get hd 7770.

Top Bottom