Upgrading my 6 yrs old PC -Help

drauheru

Right off the assembly line
Hi, the motherboard of my first gen intel pc got bust....so am planning to upgrade processor, motherboard and ram now....also planning to upgrade my GPU in a few months...so kindly help me.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?

Ans: Mostly games like AC, skyrim, watchdogs and any new games which catches my fancy at high or medium setting....also use it for watching movies nd reading novels..will use t for 7 to 8 hrs a day.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 20k -30k (excluding da GPU)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Mostly No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I already have a 1TB seagate(used for a year).

6. Do you want to buy a monitor?
Ans: No.I have a AOC 22 inch 1080*1920 LED monitor (used for 6 years but in decent condition).

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor AOC 22 Inch
Case - Cooler Master Elite 430 (planning to reuse it)
Hard disk - 1TB Seagate
PSU - 6 months old Antec 450W (should i go for 500 or 550 if i get a new gpu?).

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within the end of this month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes,once.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Chennai...can gt most parts locally.am also open to buying online if needed.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: planning to buy intel skylake i3 6100...but am not very sure about which motherboard to go for....also suggest a good GPU for my build...do i need to upgrade my PSU and case as well???

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
Which GPU do you have now?

As far as CPU+MoBo+RAM combo goes you can opt for following :
Core i5 6500 : 15.1k (primeabgb)
MoBo : ASRock B150M Pro4S 5k (theitdepot - Chennai)
RAM : 8GB DDR4 2.6k

Total will go a little over 20k (22.7k to be exact)

If you wanna strictly go below 20k then i3 is the way to go.

OP
D

drauheru

What about the motherboard for i3 6100.....my current GPU is MSI HD6850(its almost worn out)...

ssb1551

Technomancer
for the above GPU the PSU will suffice. But if you wish to upgrade your GPU to one of the latest GTX 1000 series then you might wanna buy a new and better one.
Thanks to bssunilreddy, you can calculate the power required by your rig :
Intel Core i5-6500 AMD Radeon HD 6850 - OuterVision PSU Calculato

In the above link I have considered i5 6500 with your current HD 6850 with a HDD, an ODD, a 8GB DDR4 stick and 2 120mm fans. You can edit the components and check the power consumption.

There is no specific Motherboard for i3 6th generation or i5 or i7 6th generations. A Motherboard that supports LGA 1151 socket will run any 6th generation i-series CPU. There are different chipsets though like H110, B110, H170, B150, Z170 (I am sure I have missed a couple :p if not then my memory prowess has increased lol). H110 and B110 are basic and you will get one for less than 5k or even 4k. Better stick to B150 series as they cost moderately and have good headroom for RAM and HDD expansions.

If you have the "Vitamin-M" and game often and hard then look at a Z170 series Motherboard.

The Motherboard I mentioned above is the cheapest B150M Motherboard I have found online and offline (SP Road, Bangalore). In fact I use the same motherboard on my newly built Skylake based rig (i5 6500, 2 x 16GB DDR4 2133 MHz, Zotac GTX 1060 AMP, Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB, 2TB Seagate HDD):

*forum.digit.in/show-off/198366-skylake-based-gaming-rig.html

If anyone can find some other B150M motherboard for less than 5k then that can be another option.

ssb1551

Technomancer
All depends on your preferences. In what resolution would you like to game?

If Full HD then you can opt for GTX 1060. If 1440p then GTX 1070. If you the moolah then 1080 or TitanX :D. Also remember to get a decent PSU and avoid Corsair CX and VS series.

OP
D

drauheru

How about the gtx 960 card.....can you mention da price of gtx 960 as well as gtx 1060(which is the better buy)..oh and how about the RX 480..is it better than GTX 1060...nd am definitely not the moolah ;)

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
I missed out a word : "If you have the moolah" hehe :D.

GTX 960 is underpowered in the contemporary world especially the 2GB variant. 4GB variant is the one you should look out for. But the cheapest one is for around 16.5k or 17k like :
Buy Online | GALAX GTX 960 GAMER OC MINI BLACK 4GB Graphic Card | Price in Indi
MSI GRAPHICS CARD GTX 960 4GB DDR5 T O

But for another few thousand bucks you can either get the 3GB variant of 1060 or even the Rx 480 which will be better than 960.

Sum it up - buying a brand new 960 doesn't make sense in the market when 1060 and RX 480 are present.

Top Bottom