Upgrading GPU, Budget ₹ 15,000 - 25000

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
Hi, everyone here. *img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/hello.gif *img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/hello.gif
I tell you - I'm new to this - "Rig Upgrading".
I've been a Senior Member at XDA-Developers (Android Community), so you can expect to follow the Forum Rules from me *img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/ange.gif .
My dad has agreed to spend ₹ 15,000 on upgrading my rig. Well, I might be able to raise the budget to ₹ 20,000 - 25,000 *img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/whistle.gif .

I'd like using the machine only for playing high-end games.

I'm listing the info as follows:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Before April 2013

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming [GTA IV, Crysis, FPS, NFS]; Surfing Net, Watching HD Movies, Listening to Music.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: nVidia 8400 GS 1 GB, 'Well, I'm planning to get a new power supply to whose budget is excluded from the minimum one. I don't think I'm having PSU of more than 400 W.'

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (Click them to view details)

• Display - Samsung Sync Master B2030

• CPU - Intel i5 650 @ 3.20 GHz (Socket 1156 LGA)

• Board - Intel DH55TC

• RAM - 4 GB DDR3

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Flipkart, India

OVERCLOCKING - Maybe - I'm reading about it!

MONITOR RESOLUTION - 1600 x 900 (Native)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS - I've tried to gather the most info I could. I've also read about bottle-necking, well, not much.

My doubts are as follows:

• Shall I need to upgrade my CPU too?

• Or shall I go for a lower budget GPU?

• Is 600 Watt enough? (I've chosen this Seasonic S12II 620 Watts PSU)

• Is my 4 GB RAM enough?

• Any recommendations or suggestion please? *img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/cry.gif *img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/cry.gif

I'm currently considering this combo:

Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7870 HDMI OC Edition 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

and

Seasonic S12II 620 Watts PSU

I'd also posted the forum on Tom's Hardware before - Upgrading GPU, Budget 300 - 500 $ - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays

Before that I'd decided to buy the HD 7950 (In case, I'd be able to raise the budget!). But the guys there recommended me the HD 7870 Tahiti LE version. Also, they can GPU cheaper there. That's the reason I'm re-posting the forum here. You guys can guide be better considering that you know well about Flipkart, from where I'm planning to buy the same.

I can't find the LE version there on Flipkart. A guy there told me that this one should be the LE version - Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7870 HDMI OC Edition 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - Sapphire: Flipkart.com

May be you can guide me with that or can recommend me a better selection.
The specs of the Tahiti LE are here - *www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 107-4.html

Thanks! :)

bestpain

good advicer
cpu is ok but u cant overclock it....get an nvidia 660 ti 2gb and 600 watt is more than enough....

cpu is ok but u cant overclock it....get an nvidia 660 ti 2gb and 600 watt is more than enough....

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Hd 7870 is faster than gtx 660.hd 7870 ghz edition is more faster and just kises the hd 7950 in performance.

flyingcow

Shibe
I would say buy the Sapphire 7950 w/ boost 3gb...- SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD HD 7950 VAPOR-X 3GB DDR5 OC

And for PSU get the GS 600 corsair- CORSAIR SMPS GS 600

Its better than the 7870 and 620W combo IMO...(correct me if im wrong)

But if you will be playing on that resolution get a 7870....I dont know if your i5 will cause bottlenecks

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
I would say buy the Sapphire 7950 w/ boost 3gb...- SAPPHIRE GRAPHICS CARD HD 7950 VAPOR-X 3GB DDR5 OC

And for PSU get the GS 600 corsair- CORSAIR SMPS GS 600

Its better than the 7870 and 620W combo IMO...(correct me if im wrong)

But if you will be playing on that resolution get a 7870....I dont know if your i5 will cause bottlenecks

7870 LE version is just close to 7950 and the latter doesn't deserve the difference in its price.

What resolution is recommended for the 7950?

May be, but I'd be upgrading th CPU soon.

For the PSU, appreciated that selection. :doublethumb:

rock2702

Padawan
Yes you can go for 7870 Tahiti le if you are able to get it.Seasonic s12ii 620 is a very good PSU and is currently powering my rig of i5 3570k and 7970 on a 2560x1440 res monitor .

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
Yes you can go for 7870 Tahiti le if you are able to get it.Seasonic s12ii 620 is a very good PSU and is currently powering my rig of i5 3570k and 7970 on a 2560x1440 res monitor .

yeah, that's the prob I'd mentioned.

Where to get that in India!
Can't find any thing like 7870 le on flipkart - even not much results on net.

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
You can get HD 7870 XT from WELCOME TO MDCOMPUTERS ::::::::::The Ultimate IT Solutions:::::::::: @ 18200 shipped.

XT!

Now, I've one more stuff to get more confused. o_O
No reviews or ratings for that.
Wish that it was on Flipkart too.

Well, I'll be taking it into the consideration too - It's architecture is of the LE's too.

guru_urug

iGoogle
yeah, that's the prob I'd mentioned.

Where to get that in India!
Can't find any thing like 7870 le on flipkart - even not much results on net.

Hi Paras, welcome to TDF :)

The 7870 LE/XT model is truly the most vfm GPU right now if you can get it at the right price(around 18k). Its based on the Tahiti architecture of the 79xx cards just with some silicon logic cut out. Its performance comes excruciatingly close to the 7950 on stock and it can easily match a stock 7950 when overclocked. Its a good middle ground between the standard 7870 and the 7950, leaning more towards the higher performing one.

As per my knowledge there are 2 manufacturers of this GPU. Sapphire and Powercolor. Sapphire chooses to call it the 7870 XT whereas Powercolor calls it the 7870 LE Myst. Im pretty sure the Powercolor Myst is not available in India but its very popular in the US where TomsHardware recommends it as the best bang for buck card. They used it in their recent System Builder configs too. You can check that out to get an idea of how it will perform.

Anyway so you are left with the Sapphire XT card in India. The problem is that it is notoriously scarce and hard to find. It is out of stock on Flipkart(link below)
Sapphire HD 7870 XT with Boost 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - Sapphire: Flipkart.com

You may get it locally if you live in one of the metros. It is for 17940/- on mdcomputers.in and for 20335/- on theitdepot.com
Just Google to find reviews of the card. There are several.

Please check the local prices else order it from mdcomputers.in The price is very good. I dont know much of mdcomputers.in but theitdepot is a very trusted site and you can choose them if you are skeptical, but there is quite a difference in the two prices.

Cheers!

OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
Hi Paras, welcome to TDF :)

The 7870 LE/XT model is truly the most vfm GPU right now if you can get it at the right price(around 18k). Its based on the Tahiti architecture of the 79xx cards just with some silicon logic cut out. Its performance comes excruciatingly close to the 7950 on stock and it can easily match a stock 7950 when overclocked. Its a good middle ground between the standard 7870 and the 7950, leaning more towards the higher performing one.

As per my knowledge there are 2 manufacturers of this GPU. Sapphire and Powercolor. Sapphire chooses to call it the 7870 XT whereas Powercolor calls it the 7870 LE Myst. Im pretty sure the Powercolor Myst is not available in India but its very popular in the US where TomsHardware recommends it as the best bang for buck card. They used it in their recent System Builder configs too. You can check that out to get an idea of how it will perform.

Anyway so you are left with the Sapphire XT card in India. The problem is that it is notoriously scarce and hard to find. It is out of stock on Flipkart(link below)
Sapphire HD 7870 XT with Boost 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - Sapphire: Flipkart.com

You may get it locally if you live in one of the metros. It is for 17940/- on mdcomputers.in and for 20335/- on theitdepot.com
Just Google to find reviews of the card. There are several.

Please check the local prices else order it from mdcomputers.in The price is very good. I dont know much of mdcomputers.in but theitdepot is a very trusted site and you can choose them if you are skeptical, but there is quite a difference in the two prices.

Cheers!

Really Thanks sir. :)

I wish I could select the best answer as I did on Tom's Hardware.

You just made me decide my ultimate choice and have cleared about all of my doubts in a single post. :)

The price difference is really big - about 2,400 INR! But still, I'd go for a trusted site.

Can you recommend me a PSU too?
Your recommendation would be really appreciated. :)

guru_urug

iGoogle
Really Thanks sir. :)

I wish I could select the best answer as I did on Tom's Hardware.

You just made me decide my ultimate choice and have cleared about all of my doubts in a single post. :)

The price difference is really big - about 2,400 INR! But still, I'd go for a trusted site.

Can you recommend me a PSU too?
Your recommendation would be really appreciated. :)

Thank you for your kind words :)

You could try looking locally, 20k for the 7870 XT is not bad a price but a less sweeter deal surely than getting it for 18k. Its all about bang for your buck.
The Sapphire HD 7950 VAPOR-X can be found locally for 22k in some places, which you can consider too if budget permits (since you need to buy a PSU also). The 7950 is obviously better than the 7870 XT if it fits in your budget. It has the adavantage of being highly overclockable too.

For PSU consider the Seasonic Eco 600 600W. Its available on Flipkart for 4341/- Link below:
Seasonic ECO 600 600 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com

Last edited:
OP
P

Paras Lehana

Journeyman
Thank you for your kind words :)

You could try looking locally, 20k for the 7870 XT is not bad a price but a less sweeter deal surely than getting it for 18k. Its all about bang for your buck.
The Sapphire HD 7950 VAPOR-X can be found locally for 22k in some places, which you can consider too if budget permits (since you need to buy a PSU also). The 7950 is obviously better than the 7870 XT if it fits in your budget. It has the adavantage of being highly overclockable too.

For PSU consider the Seasonic Eco 600 600W. Its available on Flipkart for 4341/- Link below:
Seasonic ECO 600 600 Watts PSU - Seasonic: Flipkart.com

yeah I'd check the local stores too but I don't think I'd find these version here in Jammu. They don't know about Vapor-X or LE versions here - but only 'around 20,000'. :p

Top Bottom