Upgrading from Spice Mi410 - Need help in choosing a new phone !!

Mr. Officer

Rookie
Hi All,

Currently using Spice Mi 410 a.k.a (Huawei Ideos X6) with custom ICS Rom, phone's 2 yrs old and started showing its age (it always had its share of problems from the beginning).

Off Topic - Bought a LG Optimus One P500 for wifey at the same time, which is also on custom ICS Rom and going strong, exceeded expectations.

Back on topic

I'm really keen on getting a phablet than a phone and would love to buy a Samsung Note II but it's beyond my budget.

1. Budget?
25-27k max
2. Display type and size?
4" qHD and above
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
Bar
4. Preferred choice of brand?
Not as such
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Touchscreen
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
Min 5 MP (rear) with AF and flash plus front facing camera
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
Android
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3G + Wifi
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Skype, GPS, etc)?
All
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Phone, heavy browsing, A/V playback, casual gaming
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
LG L9 (P765) - 17k
Sony Xperia S - 22.5k
LG 4X HD (P880) - 24.8k
12. Any other info that you want to share
Not really sure If I should be considering SGS2 and Note I - N7000

TIA

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
4X HD will be my recommendation, but do note that LG is SLOOOOOOOW at providing updates (not as slow as sony but oh well :p)

OP
Mr. Officer

Mr. Officer

Rookie
^^Slow official updates, not many after market accessories and limited dev. support are reasons why I'm still contemplating the purchase, upto an extent where I'm still wondering whether to go for Samsung Note N7000 or even SGS2 which I really don't want to...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^Slow official updates, not many after market accessories and limited dev. support are reasons why I'm still contemplating the purchase, upto an extent where I'm still wondering whether to go for Samsung Note N7000 or even SGS2 which I really don't want to...

X4 HD will get official cyanogenmod support so no worries there. it'll take a bit of time to attract developers but it'll get CM10.1 (if it misses out on CM10.0). BTW for 24.8k, are you getting it from ebay without warranty.

OP
Mr. Officer

Mr. Officer

Rookie
@Sam,

I saw some dev threads on XDA for LG 4X HD and none for LG L9 but at the same time I've read quite a few people ranting about locked bootloader and hence there'll be no real dev support for this device -it's kinda confusing !!

No I came across this site it's an India Today venture and they have this year end sale going on, all the phone's listed on the site are with bill / warranty and they have ready stock I've confirmed with their CS.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I saw some dev threads on XDA for LG 4X HD and none for LG L9 but at the same time I've read quite a few people ranting about locked bootloader and hence there'll be no real dev support for this device -it's kinda confusing !!

problem is Nexus 4. Costing less than 4X HD yet being more powerful. but CM10.1 is already demo'd on 4X HD by some dev. and AFAIK, all new LG mobiles have locked bootloader. this is seriously bad move by LG. But Sony, HTC, Motorola all have locked bootloader and they get it unlocked unofficially. just it'll take time or someone have to find ways to bypass the bootloader which too won't be any easy.

No I came across this site it's an India Today venture and they have this year end sale going on, all the phone's listed on the site are with bill / warranty and they have ready stock I've confirmed with their CS.

can't get any better. 25k for a S3 competitor.

Rohan_B

Journeyman
I think Note 1 can be a good option if you are interested in a phablet.
It is going to get the JB update and has lots of Dev Support.

a-raam

Journeyman
+1 Optimus. 4X HD:D since you are into custom roms and all u shouldn't be bothering about official updates from OEMs. But you shouldn't be worrying about that too coz the Optimus 4X is LGs flagship after optimus G and should get 4.2 also

OP
Mr. Officer

Mr. Officer

Rookie
Okay...I was in the market today and checked with more than 15 shops and still couldn't find any LG 4X but every shop had Note II.

Note II was on top of my list, my better half knew it and insisted that I buy one :-D

So, we picked up a white Note II :hyper:

OP
Mr. Officer

Mr. Officer

Rookie
35.5k with OEM flipcover, Molife HD screen guard and inc 2% cc charges.

I hope there's free 3G [3gb X 2 months] with Note II like it's with S3, how do I confirm that because I already had 3G activated on my phone from before.

Data usage is still shown as per paid 3G plan, shall I call Vodafone or Samsung ??

Rohan_B

Journeyman
Okay...I was in the market today and checked with more than 15 shops and still couldn't find any LG 4X but every shop had Note II.

Note II was on top of my list, my better half knew it and insisted that I buy one :-D

So, we picked up a white Note II :hyper:

Congrats!! :)

OP
Mr. Officer

Mr. Officer

Rookie
^^Thank you

Here's some info on free 3G data with Samsung phone's thru (Vodafone) - Note II never had any free data offer, however there was free data available with SGS3 and a couple of other models which was valid on purchases made before 15 dec 2012.

There's still an offer going on for Nokia Lumia 7xx (1GB X 04 months)

Hope it helps.

Top Bottom