Upgrading from 8600gt 236mb ddr3

sunnyhj

Broken In
Hi everyone,

I am going to upgrade for my 86ooGT 256mb ddr3 to HD6770 which is currently in my budget around 6.5K

My specs are

Hp compaq 8100 elite cmt pc

CPU - i3 550 @3.2ghz
RAM - 2*2GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz
Hp mobo and 3 HD's at 500,320,120GB's

My PSU is 320 watt ( 80+ gold rated )

the problem is there is no 6pin power connector(extra) with it..My PSU has only 3 cables.
1)4 pin ATX power cable
2)6 pin PCI Express power cable
3)6 pin auxiliary power cable

All these cables are connected to the motherboard..and every other component seems to be getting the power from motherboard..not directly from the PSU...my Sata power cables are connected to the Mobo..!! which is really unorthodox..

i still have 2 sata cables free so i want to ask u that can i connect the 6pin connector(which i will get with 6770) to these SATA Power cable..??

i know the other end of the 6pin cable will be a 4 pin peripheral power cable which i will need to convert with another cable in order to connect it with my SATA PC's

This is really confusing for u all i know but plz do try to help me here... if u want i'll upload my mobo pic with proper connections so that u can understand easily all this confused info..

THankz !!

Last edited:

guru_urug

iGoogle
AMD's page says
"450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)."

So u will definitely have to upgrade your PSU for 6770
FSP SAGA II 500 W or corsair cx430 v2 are good options in the 2.5k range

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^yes i will also suggest you to change your psu to saga or corsair.for your existing psu get a 4 pin peripheral to 6 pin converter.

OP
S

sunnyhj

Broken In
HD 6770 consumes around 80-100 watt on full stress test...(Tested) ASUS Radeon HD 6770 DirectCU Silent Review - 3D Tech News and Pixel Hacking - Geeks3D.com...So it should be ok for my PSU to handle that much load..

My psu has 26amps on +12V rail

it says +12.1Vmain and +12.1Vcpu Shall not exceed 320W which i think are enough for 6770 as i'm not planning to OC it.

^^yes i will also suggest you to change your psu to saga or corsair.for your existing psu get a 4 pin peripheral to 6 pin converter.

yes i am planning to buy a new PSU but not right now..may be in December.

And as i said in my first post there are NO extra cables coming out of my psu...only 3 which are connected to motherboard...i might just remove the 2 extra sata power cables which are connected to my mobo with a 4 pin ATX cable(male part's on MB)

but my Qn is can i connect my 6pin PCI cable to my MB..?? usually they feed themselves directly from PSU (directly or using molex) not from MB...

guru_urug

iGoogle
see if u are sure about ur PSU's reliabilty then 6770 will work on a good 350W PSU. But its always better to keep a little more headroom and follow recommended manufacturer specs. Because the efficiency of PSU falls with age n Also ambient temperature..you may want to overclock your card later when you will need more juice out of it. So we have to suggest to you a proper safest fool-proof config. But if you want, you can run it on this PSU too. Personally 6770 on 350W is a lil too tight for me. But wait till Cilus comments :)

OP
S

sunnyhj

Broken In
i will be buying a PSU in dec...and my current PSU is not even 2 months old so yeah i think it can handle it as my screen max out at 1366*768 so no 1080P gaming...i will be upgrading my system around july-august 2012 so i'm going for 6770 so that i don't have to buy a new card Again..

my main problem is having to provide power to my card through motherboard and not directly from PSU

OP
S

sunnyhj

Broken In
I'm opting for sapphire HD 6770 vapor x....and yes it will come with a connector..but i will still need it molex to sata(male) convertor something like this..(Newegg.com - Nippon Labs SATA to Molex Power Adapter SATA-FM SATA 15 Pin male to Molex 4 pin female adaptor for SATA I and SATA II Hard Drive Model SATA-FM)

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ that thing i don't think is available at ebay & what will be the total cost if u get it from there lastly who recommended u to buy that crappy pc

OP
S

sunnyhj

Broken In
Well i'm not going to buy it from online..but from a local dealer...and for the computer,there was no choice....i had an IBM thinkcentre before that..I told my dad that i need a upgrade to dual or quad core CPU..so he went ahead and bought me this crappy thing without asking me...So i have to live with this as least for now..

But It is not that bad as i don't play 1080P games..so processor and ram are fine..even MB is ok for cause i'm not planning for any OC yet

It is the damn PSU that's a problem...Now i'm thinking of delaying my purchase for now till dec-jan....Cause after that i'll have enough Papers for a better GPU and a quality PSU both..:))

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
^^ buddy nothing wrong with ur config but it is modified in such a way that upgrading is a pain
you can get it physically from Lynx

Top Bottom