krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Currently my PC have slowed down like hell and I feel it can't keep it up anymore with the newer version of Visual Studio and SQL Server. So I'd like to upgrade my Processor, Motherboard & RAM.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Visual Studio, SQL Server, Android Studio, Photoshop, Lightroom and some other lightweight programming applications like NodeJS etc.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 30k - 40k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No. Never in future

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: HDD Not Needed

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I already have Dell ST 2220 L

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: My Current Config is

Processor : Intel Core i5 2400
Motherboard : Intel DH67CL
RAM : 2 x GSkill Ripjaws X 4 GB
Graphics Card : AMD Raedon HD 6770
Power Supply : Seasonic S1 2II Bronze 520 W
Monitor : Dell ST2220 L
HDD : WD Blue 500GB

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next 2-3 Months

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes. I can assemble the parts.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata. Can buy locally / online based on the deals.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I'd like to upgrade my Processor, Motherboard & RAM.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Budget -41K

Intel Core i7 6700 -23000,
Gigabyte GA-Z170-D3H -11000,
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB(8GBx2) 2400MHz -7000.
Total -41,000.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

Nerevarine

Incarnate
you are suggesting an i7 6700 for programs like Android Studio ? Are you out of your mind ?

@OP
Will recommend i5 6400, even then its overkill for your requirements, even your current rig is more than enough to handle those programs. But if you are willing to wait additional months, waiting for ryzen might be worthwhile, not because of any performance gains but particularly because AM4 architecture is gonna stay till 2020,(since its gonna launch in Q1 2017 anyway)

Additionally, buying an SSD will improve a significant increase in performance. Lastly, for productivity improvements, a 1440p 27inch monitor can help (albeit pricey)

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
you are suggesting an i7 6700 for programs like Android Studio ? Are you out of your mind ?

@OP
Will recommend i5 6400, even then its overkill for your requirements, even your current rig is more than enough to handle those programs. But if you are willing to wait additional months, waiting for ryzen might be worthwhile, not because of any performance gains but particularly because AM4 architecture is gonna stay till 2020,(since its gonna launch in Q1 2017 anyway)

Additionally, buying an SSD will improve a significant increase in performance. Lastly, for productivity improvements, a 1440p 27inch monitor can help (albeit pricey)

Well unfortunately, my current config takes ages to start up and compile enterprise solutions. Infact it hangs when trying to open 10 or more tabs in chrome.
[MENTION=105611]bssunilreddy[/MENTION] [MENTION=110244]Nerevarine[/MENTION]
Well, one more thing I'd like to say is currently I see that my HDD is always at 100% usage. Is this normal or is it getting bottlenecked?

So do you think it's because of HDD Bottleneck? If yes then should I first trying upgrading to SSD instead of upgrading the hardware components?

Is this a good buy for SSD? Or do you guys recommend something else? Amazon.in: Buy Samsung 250GB 750EVO SSD SATA III 2.5IN MZ-750250BW Online at Low Prices in India | Samsung Reviews & Rating

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Well unfortunately, my current config takes ages to start up and compile enterprise solutions. Infact it hangs when trying to open 10 or more tabs in chrome.

Well, one more thing I'd like to say is currently I see that my HDD is always at 100% usage. Is this normal or is it getting bottlenecked?

Definitely bottlenecked, which is why I suggested the SSD, It might give a bigger boost in performance than a new processor, Still go for a i5 6400/6500, plenty of performance for even 1440p gaming

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Definitely bottlenecked, which is why I suggested the SSD, It might give a bigger boost in performance than a new processor, Still go for a i5 6400/6500, plenty of performance for even 1440p gaming

Thanks a lot :)

This is how my current stats looks like in Task Manager. I'm only running around 15 tabs in chrome nothing else. Ofcourse KIS is running in background.

*i.imgur.com/h5HGrE1.jpg

iittopper

Wise Old Owl
If you are going to wait for 2-3 month as you said , then you will have lots of options to choose (AMD reyzen) as well as reduce price for intel kaby lake . I run visual studio and android studio on my i3 2120 PC and they run pretty decent , your CPU looks good enough for that . Not sure about other software listed . What you require right now is a SSD . Get one , clean your windows and see how much it makes a difference .

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Guys,
I really don't know what Android Studio is? I thought it to be like Oracle 11 or such software.

When my wife was coding using Oracle 11 & Informatica, my PC used to lag a lot because it was an i5 processor.

That is why I suggested an i7.

If Android Studio is a simple program, then i5 is more than sufficient.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using Tapatalk

azvnoit

Journeyman
At office I use core i7 3rd gen / 8GB RAM / AMD 8800 series GPU 2GB and it cries when I use Android studio. Depends on how big application you are working on, mine is around 600MB which takes 20-60mins to build and for that duration laptop is useless.
While at home, I'm using core i7 4750 / 32GB RAM / GTX 950M / 7200rpm 1TB WD HDD, Android studio works smooth. So, the bottleneck seems to be the RAM and HDD, upgrading them should be the main concern.

I also use Visual Studio 2013, Photoshop, various other tools and all works smooth on both machines.

As suggested, you can go for core i5 6th gen and 16/32GB (I prefer GSkill Ripjaws), and for HDD one with 7200rpm (assuming you have 5400rpm class) otherwise SSD is the way to go. If it exceeds your budget you can compromise on the processor.

singh_dd93

Journeyman
Android Studio is basically IntelliJ IDEA (JAVA IDE) modified to use for Android App Development. It is a huge user of RAM, if you have less RAM allocated to it (by default it allocates itself around 2 GB only even if you have 16 or 32GBs).

The android app build process is done using gradle which tends to use all cores while building, So the more the Threads the better will be performance. The compilation time depends upon a lot of things, the actual java files to compile, Images to optimise or if you have a NDK lib, etc etc. i5 6400 should be enough for a normal app developer. We are using i7 4790 in my office on all systems and they have been able to handle each and every app we made till today, very efficiently. If you have budget then you can go with i7 otherwise i5 will be fine.

try to use separate HDD for Android studio (program) and its projects. That will give a much better performance. Also Android Studio tends to run much much better on *nix.

16GB RAM is more than enough even if you have 50-60 opened tabs in chrome and 4-5 project in Android Studio. (We do this everyday on Linux & macOS - hackintosh)

You can get a cheap 120GB SSD from Chiprex which performs very well for its price and are working fine with us for past 1.5 year. Load the OS and IDEs on that and store Projects and other data on HDD (even we use WD Blues 7200 RPM).

BTW I am also using Android Studio on old Pentium G630 which works fine for small projects. It has 8GB RAM and 2-320GB old HDDs

OP
krishnandu.sarkar

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Thanks a lot for your input guys. After you all saying the same thing, I tried furing up VS, SQL Server & Android Studio all at once and started compiling a enterprise project of mine on VS as well as I compiled a small project in Android Studio and I don't see much spike in CPU and RAM. CPU was still at 8% utilization and RAM is at 5.3GB. So I believe this is indeed because of my HDD which might be 5400rpm one.

I'll try upgrading to a SSD and check first.

vito scalleta

In the zone
Thanks a lot :)

This is how my current stats looks like in Task Manager. I'm only running around 15 tabs in chrome nothing else. Ofcourse KIS is running in background.

*i.imgur.com/h5HGrE1.jpg

Guys isnt this not a software issue ? with the OS ? i mean 1MBps cannot be the max transfer rate of the hdd ryt. I have seen this in many systems.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys isnt this not a software issue ? with the OS ? i mean 1MBps cannot be the max transfer rate of the hdd ryt. I have seen this in many systems.

This is the difference between Sequential and Random speeds of HDD , Random speed of HDD is 1-1.5mbps only ..
Most Apps , cache read and write randomly ( lots of files with small size ) so this is why random speeds are more important than sequential speeds in apps , os performance.. and this is why HDD is the biggest bottleneck ..

SSD is minimum 20-30 times faster than a HDD in random speeds

Last edited:
Top Bottom