Upgrade problem plz help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajai5777

Youngling
I had to go for MSI GF615M P33 due to unavailability of 785G chipsets in my city.But after pairing it with Athlon II X4.I have been getting decent performance from it.I purchased Saphire HD 5670 and added to this rig.Now i am getting good performance in most games.Due to the big size of HD 5670 and mATX form factor, I lost 1 of my PCI slot.I had a TV tuner card and a sound card in my PCI slots.So I removed my creative SB 5.1 vx from 1 PCI and started to use onboard Realtek HD 7.1.I have creative T6100 and its being played crap in onboard audio.Now I think its the best time to get a 785G chipset.I observed 2 models, MSI 785G E51 and Biostar TA785G3 HD.But in E51 PCI and PCIe slots are arranged similar to my current board.So I decided to go for Biostar TA785G3 HD.My PSU is Zebronics 450W sata plus.In my current config it seems safe.Now I have a doubt.Can I change the motherboard with out changing my current PSU?

I tried PC power supply calculator.The required wattage was 254 for my current config.For testing I tried High end desktop board as motherboard then the required wattage increased to 275.

Will it be stable in my current PSU?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well......1st of all I must say you choosed a gr8 board(i.e. Biostar TA785G3 HD). Well....With Athlon II X4 620 + Biostar TA785G3 HD + HD 5670 + Couple of HDD's and DVD Writer I'll suggest you not to depend on zebby PSU's. If you can afford 2k more just get Gigabyte Superb 460w @ 2.2k or the FSP SAGA II.

Look actually it's not all about the wattage. What's the rating on you volt rails?? Specially +12V one?? That is what matters most.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well......I'll suggest to change the SMPS. Get one of the following I've mentioned. You are running it at your own risk.

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
Why? Is it too bad?.Now I dont have the budget for both the PSU and mobo upgrade.One of my PCI slot is covered by HD 5670.I cant put my soundblaster on it.Thats the most annoying thing :(

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Why? Is it too bad?.Now I dont have the budget for both the PSU and mobo upgrade.One of my PCI slot is covered by HD 5670.I cant put my soundblaster on it.Thats the most annoying thing :(

upgrade your PSU for now. else later u may even loose your mobo + graphics card.

huntluck

Broken In
You really need a break dude!

Boss for running GPU + MB..you may really want a good PSU prefer to go with 550 wattage zebronic pro series or iBall black stallion whichever you prefer as per your " k " ....

Last edited:

huntluck

Broken In
At my 1st post I've mentioned 2 PSU's at most lower budget. Take a look.

I Have seen them I have no idea of that PSU that how much output impedance is observed well if you go to budget then i suggest not to buy...
Don't make compromise with the Quality.

the ratio of +2% ^^ in price.. Doesn't affect I suppose seeing :arrow:future

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
You really need a break dude!

Boss for running GPU + MB..you may really want a good PSU prefer to go with 550 wattage zebronic platinum or iBall black stallion whichever you prefer as per your " k " ....

truly speaking, i thought u were joking. Zebronics Platinum is crap (Pro series somewhat better). its nothing compared to FSP(the OEM of Gigabyte) or Seasonic(OEM of Corsair & many many more). many may disagree but most won't. ok, u tell why (most) members here go for Corsair VX450W selling out hard earned 3.8-4k when they can buy a 550W Zeb Platinum with a *bling* *bling* 100mm Blue LED for only 2.5k. maybe even less, which will attract lot more attention, than a white FSP PSU.

can't say much about the iBall black stallion. but just that iBall PSU's even if they cost as much a good PSU. can't be trusted for running a system consisting of power sucking parts.

huntluck

Broken In
truly speaking, i thought u were joking. Zebronics Platinum is crap (Pro series somewhat better). its nothing compared to FSP(the OEM of Gigabyte) or Seasonic(OEM of Corsair & many many more). many may disagree but most won't. ok, u tell why (most) members here go for Corsair VX450W selling out hard earned 3.8-4k when they can buy a 550W Zeb Platinum with a *bling* *bling* 100mm Blue LED for only 2.5k. maybe even less, which will attract lot more attention, than a white FSP PSU.

can't say much about the iBall black stallion. but just that iBall PSU's even if they cost as much a good PSU. can't be trusted for running a system consisting of power sucking parts.

Well in case of budget i suggested him that As in every PSU's it differs with copper or aluminum winding used...the pro is series is best i agree with it Mr X.
Many gaming system at video parlors use pro xxx series.

But if you think in international way then there are very Rich brands like cooler master, corsair, HP, M-RON, triplet etc.... also

Now it's his choice to choose the one of it. As if any product from any manufacturer is manufactured then most probably it's sold.... So the quality is directly :arrow:exponential to $$$$ hehehe:p

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
Actually I dont know anything about PSU.I ran my old PC for 5years in a frontech SMPS with out damaging any components.I sold that PC to get some cash and upgraded to this.I was out of budget thats why I went for ordinary PSU.But in my current configuration its safe even in heavy load.Only concern is that I lost 1 PCI slot due to the big size of HD 5670.I dont have budget for PSU+new mobo right now.

I think its better to give up the idea of upgrading.Is there anything to extend PCI slot?
All I need to use my SB 5.1 in this board.
I'll consider upgrading PSU later.

huntluck

Broken In
Actually I dont know anything about PSU.I ran my old PC for 5years in a frontech SMPS with out damaging any components.I sold that PC to get some cash and upgraded to this.I was out of budget thats why I went for ordinary PSU.But in my current configuration its safe even in heavy load.Only concern is that I lost 1 PCI slot due to the big size of HD 5670.I dont have budget for PSU+new mobo right now.

I think its better to give up the idea of upgrading.Is there anything to extend PCI slot?
All I need to use my SB 5.1 in this board.
I'll consider upgrading PSU later.

If you want a lifetime partner Get an corsair or cooler master smps.
No other choice 55o wattage min. requirement

check some here *www.priceindia.in/computer/cooler-master-smps-power-supply-price/

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
I agree with the 'brand' thing.But why do I need 550W when the max power reqd for my configuration in a high end desktop board is just 274?

If my budget allows, it will be surely a Gigabyte Active PFC 460W @ 2.2k

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Zebronics, iBALL PSU = total sh$$. Be it running a CPU, 256MB DIMM and one HDD platter. I am not sure why people are recommending these PSU units. They are like the plague, to be avoided, come what may be.

OP, you need a minimal 400 PSU. Ideally choose from these brands, Corsair, Tagan, Gigabyte, FSP, Silverstone, Coolermaster (not Extreme series). Not sure what The Monkey was suggesting, but he seems to be off his rocker.

huntluck

Broken In
Zebronics, iBALL PSU = total sh$$. Be it running a CPU, 256MB DIMM and one HDD platter. I am not sure why people are recommending these PSU units. They are like the plague, to be avoided, come what may be.

OP, you need a minimal 400 PSU. Ideally choose from these brands, Corsair, Tagan, Gigabyte, FSP, Silverstone, Cooler master (not Extreme series). Not sure what The Monkey was suggesting, but he seems to be off his rocker.

To be more specific Buddy I think when the system is OC ,it requires more supply.The 550 watt smps will be great enough to drive the components.
As for future components You might know The power requirement is over 500 wattage Check out !

I gave him advice securing his present and future also .So he might not get any :arrow: problems :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom