upgrade core2duo with core2quad?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
You don't want to get a Phenom II when bulldozer is not even launched but wanna get a Core2Quad, after which two generation of new CPUs have been launched? If it looks like a better alternative then go for it, what more I can say.

Skud, buying and AM3 based platform is not at all any dead end solution.There are plenty of budget AM3 motherboards available from MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS with already confirmed Bulldozer CPU support. GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3 AM3 , available @ 4.75K has Bulldozer support.

I also had a E7300 and Instead of C2Q I went for PII 955BE with The same mobo Cilus mentioned here which has AM3+ Socket. i.e. BD Support already.

This one has given me very good boost even at stock and tbh above 3 GHz Quad it doesnt matter much thats its a i7 Extreme or Q9550 as at HD Resolution both will give you more than playable FPS. There is a topic on Anandtech Explaining this already. (120 FPS & 50 FPS may sound huge in bench but as long as they are above 30 it doesnt matter for user)

So Go with the Cheapest Quad PII 955 BE and forget about upgrading CPU for gaming for a long time.

OP
C

clear_lot

Journeyman
any reason why? what if BD performs better than IB?

price of BD 8core top model= $300= price of 2600k.
this means that AMD knows that the 8 core performs as well as the 2600k.
if it performed better, the price would have been higher.

IB is the die shrink of SB. it has no/little architectural change. it will probably be clocked higher. most people on tomshardware/anandtech arent too excited about IB. they are much more interested in BD.

@ Tech_Wiz:
i have dropped the C2Q upgrade route. but i think i will wait till BD release before jumping on the AMD bandwagon. buying a CPU thats gonna be EOL is not appealing.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Believe me. If you can get a C2Q cheap, it will run your games just fine for the next 2x years. Games are not so hardware bound anymore. the GPU does most of the work, just that 4x working threads are mandatory these days, since most games are coded this way. It is a small prerequisite. I have a C2Q and face no stuttering what so ever EVER, on any game. Ya, but on Dx10, but that is good enough. Rest is your choice.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
LOL. judging the performance of AMD processor based on price? Intel always overprice their CPUs. AMD on the other hand is generous with the pricing, always! If it is debuting at same price as 2600k, they should be confident that it outperforms 2600k easily.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
My only point is as long as gaming requires 3 Ghz Quad it doesnt make any difference if its i7, BD, Ivy, PH II or C2Q. Rest is your choice.

EOL in terms of production YES but its at 5.5k and comes with Good Warranty years. I was also opting for a i5 2500K earlier but dropped it for PH II 955 and saved me 10K Rs which I will use in buying a 6870 or 6950. For Gaming upto HD and a bit higher also PH II gives more than playable frame rates with effects maxed out.

If you are waiting for BD its great also. But My opinion was if that much amount of power is not going to used then why spend money on it. Rather save up and add a Great GPU.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
My only point is as long as gaming requires 3 Ghz Quad it doesnt make any difference if its i7, BD, Ivy, PH II or C2Q. Rest is your choice.

EOL in terms of production YES but its at 5.5k and comes with Good Warranty years. I was also opting for a i5 2500K earlier but dropped it for PH II 955 and saved me 10K Rs which I will use in buying a 6870 or 6950. For Gaming upto HD and a bit higher also PH II gives more than playable frame rates with effects maxed out.

If you are waiting for BD its great also. But My opinion was if that much amount of power is not going to used then why spend money on it. Rather save up and add a Great GPU.

He already has a 580. What greater GPU can he add? ;)

@OP: better wait for some time. If you can, BD will be out in September, SNB-E is expected in November, so next year you will have lots of options to choose from.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Skud, don't take every word literally. I guess what Tech_Wiz is trying to convery is that if gaming is the main concern then there is no need to go for the latest tech based and the higher end CPU models as gaming is more GPU bound. A decent quad core CPU which can handle the high end graphics cards properly, will perform same as their higher end brothers as long as gaming is the concern. IThe money saved can be used for other components like Cooler, extra gigs of memory or a better motherboard. If you are planning for some CPU intensive task regularly then its different.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skud, don't take every word literally. I guess what Tech_Wiz is trying to convery is that if gaming is the main concern then there is no need to go for the latest tech based and the higher end CPU models as gaming is more GPU bound. A decent quad core CPU which can handle the high end graphics cards properly, will perform same as their higher end brothers as long as gaming is the concern. IThe money saved can be used for other components like Cooler, extra gigs of memory or a better motherboard. If you are planning for some CPU intensive task regularly then its different.

Arre... just some leg-pulling. ;)

I do agree, a quad-core is essential these days for gaming, and as such it would be better to wait some time. In any case, whatever BD and SNB-E brings to plate, prices of current CPUs may drop once they are released. My point is if OP just want to upgrade the CPU to a C2Q, then it's OK. But for a platform change, the BDs and SNB-Es are now too close to ignore.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
ejjactly. I still remember asking many to wait a month when nehalem was coming out few years ago.

A normal release can be ignored but this is an architecture shift (AMD) and it (probably) has the potential to shake up the price list.

OP
C

clear_lot

Journeyman
SNB-E will be too expensive for most people. prolly in the range of $1k. also the mobo will be quite expensive too. so i am not looking forward to that.

but IB/BD looks quite appealing for lga775 owners.
BD launch will definitely lower the prices of AMD's current lineup.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
but IB/BD looks quite appealing for lga775 owners.
BD launch will definitely lower the prices of AMD's current lineup.
That's right.. LGA775 owner here waiting desperately for the Bulldozer launch. I just want a great CPU+Mobo+RAM combo in 15-17K.

Top Bottom