Upgrade blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaboodle

Broken In
I want to get a new mobo ,possibly Intel 915 series.And add a SATA HDD and a graphics card.

Now I have a PATA HDD of 40 GB ,and it has lots of important stuff,including my project work.Now if I change the Mobo and plug in the Hdd again,then would my data be alright along with the OSes(which are WinXP and FC3)?
Would the OSes boot again or would I have to reinstall them?

expertno.1

Technomancer
well nothing will happen to your data

but the OS..winxp will not work coz of differnet new hardware componenets and old hardrae componenets

98 is old ..it will work for 98

a similar thread was discussed before ..check ands earch the forum

armourlength

Right off the assembly line
Partition ur drive & reinstall FC3.
Its better if u go for Windows on C: .
U'll get grub after FC3 is installed.

OP
K

kaboodle

Broken In
armourlength said:
Partition ur drive & reinstall FC3.
Its better if u go for Windows on C: .
U'll get grub after FC3 is installed.
Rofl...I wanted to know if the OSes would blow up and you are telling me to blow my OSes.
My current first boot is FC3 and the bootloader is Grub.

diab0lic666

Broken In
kaboodle said:
I want to get a new mobo ,possibly Intel 915 series.And add a SATA HDD and a graphics card.

Now I have a PATA HDD of 40 GB ,and it has lots of important stuff,including my project work.Now if I change the Mobo and plug in the Hdd again,then would my data be alright along with the OSes(which are WinXP and FC3)?
Would the OSes boot again or would I have to reinstall them?
It shud'nt give any problems. though i have never tried it. let's see what other guys have to say abt this.
wait a min. you are getting new HDD wid SATA interface? and according to my logical guess you wud want that as your primary Disk, for that you will have to install OS on that. so just go ahead and make ur old HDD as slave and copy all the imp data.

OP
K

kaboodle

Broken In
Oopsie! I didn't think abt making the new hdd as master.
Also I was thinking abt to doing without reinstall of FC3 and XP.
If I get a new hdd then I would have XP in older hdd and FC4 in new hdd,now how to make that possible? I mean would the XP of older hdd boot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom