UPGRADABLE Budget rig within 25K...good upgrade path is the key

Blue

Right off the assembly line
This is my first thread here. Firstly, I must congratulate you all for such an informative and helpful forum. I have been reading threads here for some days now, and have come across a few budget pc threads too, with good discussions on AMD APUs vs Intel for budget PCs. I hope this thread could continue that discussion with focus on the upgrade path for the two choices, and of course, I hope to get my new pc config. :)

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Java Programming with Netbeans IDE, Eclipse (even Java 3D), 3D apps like 3Ds MAX, POSER. Games - COD, BF3, NFS ( been a long time now I played these, would like to try the latest ones out) on average-medium settings.

2. What is your overall budget? t? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 25K, I can somehow push it 2K more for motherboard or PSU or monitor.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500 GB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes, 20-22 inch LED, if within budget Full HD (asking too much?)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Speakers, Graphics Card ( wont fit in this budget I guess), Keyboard, Mouse

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I will do it, DIY guide here is helpful enough

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: New Delhi. Wherever cheaper

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
I have a tight budget of 25K right now. I need to get my pc within a week, but over a period of 3-6 months, I can afford to upgrade it ( add more RAM, good graphics card, speakers). I believe I should focus on getting good core components (mobo, LED montior, PSU, cabinet) and RAM, graphics card can be upgraded later. Please suggest a configuration for such scenario.
I have no idea about overclocking but after reading a few threads here, I think motherboard and processor both have a role. Even if you suggest that with such limited bugdet I should not look to OC, do kindly suggest a motherboard that has the capablity.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get the following:-
Intel Pentium G630 @ 3.6K (It is available in BBSR at the same price of G620)
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P @ 3.1K
Corsair Value Series 4GB X 1 1333 MHz DDR3 @ 1.2K
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA II @ 4K
Acer 21.5" Full HD LED @ 7.6K
Corsair CX 430 V2 PSU @ 2.6K

OP
B

Blue

Right off the assembly line
AMD alternative

Thanks for replying, I too am inclined towards such configuration, but how does it compare with AMD alternative ( as suggested by Utkarsh Sharma and panwala in a few threads)

AMD A6 3650: 5.5k or A6 3500: 4.2K
Gigabyte A55M-DS2: 3.2k
GSkill RipJawsX 4GB 1600MHz: 1.5k
Seagate 500GB: 3.8k
ASUS/LG DVR Writer : 1.2K
and PSU, cab as suggested above.

Question remains if I go for A6/A8, I can do a little gaming now, but then could I later add some RAM, powerful gfx card and improve the gaming experience ??
And TDP, higher means it wil get more heated ( A6 3650 has 100W TDP, while 3500 has 65W) ?

powerpc

Broken In
Re: AMD alternative

AMD A6 3650: 5.5k or A6 3500: 4.2K
Gigabyte A55M-DS2: 3.2k

If you plan to upgrade the processor later, then this combo with FM1 socket won't be a good idea. New processors from AMD is based on AM3+

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@Blue

Config I
Intel i3 2100 - 6.5k
Intel DH67CL - 5.4k or Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H - 4.5k
Corsair Value Series 4GB X 1 (1333MHz) -1.2K
WD Caviar Blue 500GB(WD5000AAKX) - 4K (3.7k in flipkart at the time of posting)
Acer P225HQ 21.5" Full HD LCD - 7.4k
Corsair CX430v2 - 2.5k
CM ELite 310 -1.8k

Config II
AMD PhenomII X4 960T - 6.9k
Gigabyte GA-880GM D2H - 4k
4gb Gskill Ripjaws-X 1600mhz cl9 - 1.6k
WD Caviar Blue 500GB(WD5000AAKX) - 4K (3.7k in flipkart at the time of posting)
Acer P225HQ 21.5" Full HD LCD - 7.4k
Corsair CX500V2 - 3.5k
CM ELite 310 -1.8k

Both the configs exceed your budget by a bit but are worth it.
As you want to add graphic card later it is better to get a good motherboard and cpu so that the overall setup is much balanced for your workloads.
The i3 2100 based config is non-overclockable.The 2nd rig is overclockable.As 3ds max is on your list go for phenom II 960T if possible.
The 2nd config doesn't have any future upgrade if newer generation amd processors are concerned.In the first config one can upgrade to ivy bridge based processors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom