Update Linux or Fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

src2206

In the zone
In my case the problem is that the connection is only 64kbps and its gonna take helluva time to download all 5+1 CDs of FC5. I have downloaded 3 of these so two more to go.It will take another 6 days to download other two. I already have FC4 ready given with digit DVD.
Now if I install FC4 for the time being shall I be able to update my installation when downloading FC5 completes? Or should I hold on till FC5 is completely downloded?
Please help.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Its better if you do a fresh install.. I would suggest you wait.. Why dont you get the fedora core 5 DVD from someone?

Pathik

Google Bot
u can install fc4 now and then format the linux partition and install fc5 wen u get it...

Venom

Journeyman
Nah, if you have set your FC4 up very carefully and customized it totally dont format, you stand a lot to lose.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you haven't installed FC4 yet then wait up till FC5 is downloaded. If you already have installed it you can easily go ahead with upgrades.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
None of my friends has a FC5 DVD/CDs :(.
So i think that most of you beleive that I should hold on a little longer. And yes I do not really like to format much.
Still my doubt remains - that can,t I upgrade FC4 to FC5 without formatting and with my all settings intact?
tech_your_future said:
If you haven't installed FC4 yet then wait up till FC5 is downloaded. If you already have installed it you can easily go ahead with upgrades.
Could you please clarify why do you suugest so?

Thank you

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
It's better that you buy a Fedora 5 DVD from www.buylinuxdvd.com , rather than
updating the older distro or taking the trouble of downloading the ISO image files
using 64 kbps Net connection!!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can do upgrade without a fresh install and your settings will be intact. I haven't tried it on FC but with my Ubuntu, it's been fine.
Also, since it's been quite a while that FC5 was released, you are likely to have a lot of updates. That will go for FC4 too.

OP
src2206

src2206

In the zone
Already downloded 3 so buying is something that I do not consider. Moreover the PC that I will be installing Linux does have a DVD drive :(
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom