Unlimited Downloads for a decent price...is this possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
royal

royal

Padawan
kalpik,

just another question ...

u said the BSNL modem (which I already have) works with Airtel, so I don't have to pay Rs. 500 for modem ,right ? :?:

and Airtel will be providing me with a landline , which I'm not going to use to make calls anyway (I already have a BSNL landline for that). So do I have to pay anything apart from the monthly rent for internet ,even if I dont make a single call from the Airtel line? :(

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
No, you wont pay anything if u dont make calls.. Just rs 999 + taxes (-99 if u use the bsnl modem). Even if u make one call, you'l just pay 1.10 rs more! There is no rent for the landline.. As for the initial Rs 500, ask the airtel customer care ppl, they will provide more info.

kalpik

No limits.. TOTALLY unlimited!

Oh and yes, DO NOT take my word for any of the things i said!! Do confirm everything with the customer care people before going ahead!

kalpik

No problem guys! :)

And by the way, it takes around a week for the connection to be installed, from the date of registration. So Qwerty, plan accordingly, if you dont wanna be without internet! Hehe..

cyberzook

Journeyman
In Kolkata u can go for Tata Indicom postpaid connection..
Rs. 500 for 64k
Rs. 900 for 128k
Rs. 1600 for 256k
All unlimited plans.. 12% taxes extra
1000 installation charge.. gives router
1000 security deposit

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
hey kalpik

I read that Airtel speed sucks and that they "throttle" the speeds of heavy downloaders ... is that true ? :roll:

what's ur experience man ? :?:

kalpik

Speed is a lil low since about two months now.. I get around 110 kbps on the 128 kbps connection. Earlier i used to get around 133 kbps.. But as of now, there is NO throttling done..

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
Is there ne connection in which speed xceeds the defined speed...eg for a 128 kbps conn., the speed > 128 kbps sometimes??

BTW, whats the download speed kalpik, of ur 128 kbps Airtel?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
though it is written that AirTel is providing service in Kolkata... actually even Kolkata 700002 dont have their covarage.. (corroct me if i am wrong) whats the point?? unless they come to ur locality u can only look at their plan and wounder those people running that plan is very lucky... :roll:

one thing that i have written here many times...that is the Wiring network of BSNL... if BSNL says they r in kolkata... so they mean it... From Kolkata 700001 to the end of the pin is in their network...

even Saltlake laks network of AirTel broadband only the sector V has their network... :roll: (I am yet to confirm this... from my frnd.. so dont rely on this... :p)

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
kalpik

probably the drop in speed has got something to do with the increasing no. of customers (maybe due to the free installation offer :roll: ) ... more than what their present infrastucture can sustain :?

and saurav_cheeta ...
u just shattered my hopes for unlimited downloads :cry:
I just pray to god that Airtel service is available in Saltlake outside SecV :p

Kniwor

Learner
@saurav_cheeta
that makes me sad....
i was planning on taking airtel... now I'll have to look at other things....

kalpik

Yeah.. the speed drop is due to the increase in the no of customers.. Also, they are having some problem with their backbone.. (by the way only 2 companies in india, Bharti (Airtel), and VSNL have an international backbone..).. You can get more about airtel here: *broadbandforum.in/Airtel_Broadband_Forum-f23.html

@MysticHalo: i get around 12-15 KBps in the days and 24-27 KBps in the nights.. Pretty decent considering zero downtime, friendly customer care and UNLIMITED transfer, without throttling! Hehe.. Not to mention a decent price too!

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
very ritely pointed kalpik,
me too been using airtel 256kbps unlimited for the last 1 year or so,with NOT even 1 min of downtime.
Get easily 25kBps download speed all day with speeds between 45-53kBps at night.
i purchased my USB modem in the startng intself for 1500bucks,so i pay 900 + 99 as tax
as far as downloads are concerned i have downloaded GB's of stuff ....!!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@kalpik

kalpik said:
Yeah.. the speed drop is due to the increase in the no of customers.. Also, they are having some problem with their backbone.. (by the way only 2 companies in india, Bharti (Airtel), and VSNL have an international backbone..).. You can get more about airtel here: *broadbandforum.in/Airtel_Broadband_Forum-f23.html

sorry to say... but what about NIB... National Information Backbone??? this is own by BSNL... right now what i know it is the largest backbone (data network) of india?? may be i am wrong..

*www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone.htm

BSNL said:
BSNL is in the process of commissioning of a world class, multi-gigabit, multi-protocol, convergent IP infrastructure through National Internet Backbone�II (NIB-II), that will provide convergent services through the same backbone and broadband access network. The Broadband service will be available on DSL technology (on the same copper cable that is used for connecting telephone), on a countrywide basis spanning 198 cities.

@royal

hay... dont give up hope yaar... they say Total saltlake will be covered soon :p (dont know how soon :roll:)

kalpik

Hmm.. I thought BSNL and VSNL are both govt firms.. So backbone of VSNL=backbone of BSNL. Meaning BSNL takes bandwidth from VSNL.. I may be wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom