Unlimited Downloads for a decent price...is this possible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royal

Padawan
Everyone,

Is there any alternative to BSNL DataOne net connection in Kolkata?

It should offer
1>at least 256 kbps (I'm really confused about kilobits and kilobytes :cry: )
2>unlimited download whenever I choose (and not just at night :evil: )
3>monthly bills which should not give me a heart attack :twisted:
(1000- 1500 bucks)

BTW, I am happy with my BSNL connection but it just does not match upto my expectation :wink:

I fear this is toooooo good to be true.... :(

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I think airtel has a 900-rs 256 Unlimited plan, but I dont understand whats the voice pulse rate charge in it... :?

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Kbps is kilobits persecond, that is 1024 binary digits per second. KBps is kilobytes per second and that is 1024*8 binary digits per second.

Kbps and Mbps is is used when referring to network speed.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
My monthly internet plan is -

> 128 kbps
> Unlimited bandwidth
> 500 bucks monthly

It's a service run by our local cablewallah. I believe the ISP is of Bharti Telecoms.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
ilugd said:
Kbps is kilobits persecond, that is 1024 binary digits per second. KBps is kilobytes per second and that is 1024*8 binary digits per second.

Kbps and Mbps is is used when referring to network speed.

Kbps=Kilo Bits per second=1000 bits per second..
KBps=Kilo Bytes per second=1024 bytes per second..
Also, 8 bits=1 byte..

Airtel:
128 Kbps Unltd=699 Rs (excluding tax)
256 Kbps Unltd=999 Rs (excluding tax)

kalpik

Yeah its actually rs 600 + 99 (modem rent) + taxes.. likewise for the 256 kbps plan.. And Kbps is always taken as 1000 Bits and KBps as 1024 Bytes.. Dont remember the exact reason why!

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
right kalpik, seems i need to get some sleep. My brain is getting all muddled up. (could you suggest a defragmenter ;-) )

kalpik

Hehe.. Anyway, more on this topic from Wikipedia:

The first thing to check is the size of the file. The throughput of communications links is measured in bits per second (bit/s), kilobits per second (kbit/s), megabits per second (Mbit/s) and Gigabits per second (Gbit/s). In this application, kilo, mega and giga are the standard S.I. prefixes indicating multiplication by 1,000 (kilo), 1,000,000 (mega), and 1,000,000,000 (giga). File sizes are typically measured in bytes — kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes being usual. In this application, a byte is eight bits. However, confusingly, a kilobyte is not 1,000 bytes, as one would expect. In the computer industry, the kilo prefix multiplies by 1,024 (2 raised to the power 10) instead of 1,000. Similarly, mega multiplies by 1,024 × 1,024, and Giga multiplies by 1,024 × 1,024 × 1,024. The result of all this is that a 64 kilobyte file contains 64 × 1024 bytes, or 64 × 1024 × 8 bits.

One exception to this usage is in the marketing of hard-disk drives, where some manufacturers use the power of ten numeration terms, so a 60 Gigabyte drive is actually 60,000,000,000 bytes rather than 64,424,509,440 bytes.

Source

Now why the hell Hard disk manufacturers dont follow the 1024 logic?? Hehe..

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i don't know why they don't do that.

Actually i am into network programming for the past week and have been fully involved in char * buffer=(char *)malloc(sizeof(char)*1024); stuff

That got me messed up. It is a good thing anyway. From now on, when i post anywhere, i will carefully recheck what i post.

Hey thank you kalpik. If you had not replied promptly someone would have learnt something wrong. (Sigh) I will just try to be more careful

kalpik

Lol! U guys treating me like im some customer care guy from airtel! Hehe..

Anyway, the plan is like this:

Cost: Rs 900 (plan charges) + 99 (Modem rent, N/A if u buy a modem or already have one.. The BSNL modem will work on Airtel) + taxes..

You get a landline free with it.. With pulse rate @ Rs 1.10

90 sec pulse for mobiles and 3 min pulse for landlines..
The STD pulse is 1 min i guess (not sure..)

Plus the have this 1000/100/10 offer..

ie, for the first 3 months, you get 10 mins of ISD, 100 mins of STD, and 1000 mins of local calls free on one number (respectively) chosen by you..

Plus... They give free intercom facility.. ie, free unlimited calls to neighbouring colonies.. (about 7-8 adjacent colonies in my area)..

All these are the details for delhi and NCR.. May be different in Kolkata

Oh and yes, forgot to mention!! Airtel gives double badwidth from 11 pm in the night to 6 am in the morning for free... ie, u'll be getting 512 kbps in the nights! 8)

OP
royal

royal

Padawan
kalpik,

ur a lifesaver :lol:

think I'll switch over to Airtel :twisted:

However what is this "tax" thing buddy? :?:

and could anyone using Airtel share his/her experience about the connection? :p

kalpik

Taxes are around 10.2% of your total bill.. So you'l be paying around 1100 for your 256 kbps connection. Im using the 128 kbps connection, and im quite satifsied with it. Customer care is excellent! Best of luck with whatever u choose! Also check out *www.airtel.in

kalpik

Installation is free.. You just pay Rs 500 as modem downpament.. Thats it.. Right noe they are even offering some scheme under which u get Rs 10,000 worth gifts free :p Dunno the details bout this scheme though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom