UNIX Wars - Which is better and why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
wow ! I just got my hands on Solaris 10. Do you think its worth installing ?
And whats the cost of SPARC Processors in India ?
Is it true that OpenSPARC, the only OSS Processor, is Dirt Cheap in the market due to being OSS ?
thats some serious stuff. Leave it for administrators, desktop users dont need it.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
Although you can use Solaris 10 as a Desktop OS for Software Development .
Or...for learning.

Well, I've installed it on a spare machine for some time. It has two DMs. GNOME & CDE. GNOME has all the utilities as in any linux distro. But CDE is different. Its just a basic no nonsense DM.

You can install Solaris x86 version on any compatible hardware but I think dual booting will be a tough nut to crack. you can configure "zones" in Solaris which works much like virtual machines (heard it from a friend).

Now, I am thinking of installing it in my Ubuntu box under VirtualBox which supports installing Solaris type os.

Let's hope for the best.

Ok guys, I got the Solaris 10 DVD a few days back in PC Quest January issue. Hoping to make the best of it.... or may be not. I may just end up leaving it as a trophy, for my System sucks at running uber cool OSes in their full glory.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
1G Solaris 10? More than enuf. Just go ahead. You can use the bundled CDE or install xfce/gnome/kde whatever with compiz on that too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom