UNIX ---> linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajwansh2003

Journeyman
I Have to study Unix in my 5th sem. of b.tech. I want to know that Unix is related with Linux. Than which Linux should i use?

red_devil

Back!
i guess you'll be taught about some commands like grep etc so your choice of LINUX distribution shouldn't be a problem..

you can install any flavour of LINUX and you should fine...

Flake

Linux User
Unix is somewhat like a specifications for Open Source and proprietary. Although, one can call -BSD kernels as Unix only and BSD kernels are freely available. Linux on the other hand, is an Open Source Kernel designed for Open Source Unix clone, GNU/Linux.
Regarding which Linux you should use, you have to decide yourself. Tons of Linux distros are freely available to download/install. Basic difference between Linux distros is in Package Management, Graphical Interface ( Desktop Environments, tweaks ) and a few other things. Basic commands are same in all distros. I would suggest you try LiveCDs of as many distros as you can and pick one you like the most.

m@sterchief

Broken In
The primary difference between UNIX and Linux is in the way the kernel is designed. Externally u will find no difference. The same shell, commands, Window Managers, Desktop environment & Utilities are available for both. Internally it is a totally different beast. Process Maanagement, memory management, scheduling are designed and operate differently.

Flake

Linux User
As I suggested earlier, you should choose yourself. Nobody can tell you which distro is best for you. All Linux distros are same at core and differ in Package Management, GUI and a few other things.
I would suggest you try LiveCDs first.
Ubuntu, OpenSuSe, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Fedora... List goes on..... I prefer Debian and CentOS for Servers. Check Distrowatch.com and pick any in Top 10 list.

Flake

Linux User
Lets not start Which Linux distro is best debate. :)
Tons of distros are freely available and LiveCDs allow users to test those. Distro choice depends on personal likes/dislikes only. Actually, this is the main reason for such a huge number of Linux distros.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
If you want *pure* UNIX, go for OpenSolaris or FreeBSD...
But I know that subject, a Linux distro would be enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom