uninstalling windows xp from dual boot

sukesh1090

Adam young
I am using windows 7 and xp as dual boot.now i want to uninstall windows xp,so please tell me how can i do it.thank you.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
Log in from Windows 7 and format the drive in which Windows XP is installed after backing up all data on Windows-XP containing drive.
If you erase boot sector by mistake, then boot from your Window CD/DVD and then go to recovery console and then at the prompt, type -

bootcfg /scan -> Scans for windows Os
bootcfg /rebuild -> Rebuilds boot sector
or try -
fixmbr
fixboot

Last edited:
OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
thank you for reply.i just formatted the xp drive and i want to know how to remove that xp entry from boot file so that system directly starts with win7.

mohityadavx

Youngling
thank you for reply.i just formatted the xp drive and i want to know how to remove that xp entry from boot file so that system directly starts with win7.

Go to my computer properties --> advanced system settings ---> advanced ---> startup and recovery settings ---> select default operating system as windows 7.

Hope that helped u :)

Last edited:
OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
thank you.i selected win 7 as default operating system and everything is working fine but i just wanted to know is there any way to permanently remove that winxp from boot file.

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
thank you.i selected win 7 as default operating system and everything is working fine but i just wanted to know is there any way to permanently remove that winxp from boot file.

On the same 'Startup and Recovery' tab, you'll also see 'Edit' button under the 'System Startup' section. Clicking on this will open the boot.ini file, which might lok like this -

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I'm using single OS so only one OS is seen but in your case there will be 2 OSs. From there you can remove the statements refering to Win XP (in my case multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect)

Don't erase the statements refering to Windows 7, though! Be careful.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
i tried to edit with bcdedit but in there it shows identifier for xp as {ntldr}.now how can i delete this by using bcdedit /delete identifier value command?

here is the pic of the cmd-

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
i tried to edit with bcdedit but in there it shows identifier for xp as {ntldr}.now how can i delete this by using bcdedit /delete identifier value command?

Unless you are not too hype about removing Windows XP from the boot loader, let it be there otherwise you'll end up doing some mistake and erasing your bootloader.

If you really want to do so, you might find some useful information here -
LinucS: Howto Recover Bootloader in Windows XP/Vista/7​

Top Bottom