uninstalling a .tar.gz installed file???

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
hi,.

I am using Fedora Core 4 Linux. I downloaded a .tar.gz package and used the commands

legolas said:
tar xvfz <filename>.tar.gz

followed by....

./configure
make
make install

and it has installed the whole thing. now i wanted to uninstall it!! i can delete the directory where i created, but it has created the installation files in

legolas said:
/usr/local/include/.... path

how do i remove all the files installed using the configure, make and make install completely.... if its rpm, then i use rpm -e <package name> ..... i am a newbie in this... pls suggest me a solution!

thk u,
legolas

praka123

left this forum longback
first there is not any easy way.if the maintainer provided "make uninstall" U can uninstall from the compiling directory(that may not be safe).for this U read README or INSTALL file in the source package.
Another way is to install "checkinstall" package.after install try "man checkinstall" for more details,it usually makes an rpm or deb so that u can install and uninstall.for eg:
Code:
foobar package
cd foobar
sarge:~# ./configure
sarge:~# make
sarge:~#checkinstall -R (for rpm)
thus u can uninstall that rpm by rpm -e foobar.

Download here
*www.tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/December2004/article360.shtml

Satissh S

Youngling
@legolas: Most programs now come with a uninstaller script with install and configure scripts. You can use that.
cd into source <dir> and run,
#./uninstall
Or a bad way to do it, just locate the directories using
# locate <name of the program>
Most prolly, /usr/local/* or /usr/share/*
# rm -R <dir name>
# rm /usr/bin/<name_of_the_program>
To delete the symlink.

eddie

El mooooo
prakash kerala said:
first there is not any easy way.if the maintainer provided "make uninstall" U can uninstall from the compiling directory(that may not be safe).
Why will it not be safe? :?

eddie

El mooooo
I don't think ANY uninstall scripts deletes the directories with a recursive switch. Even programs like checkinstall use uninstall part of Makefile while making rpm/tgz etc, so it is as safe as the uninstall part of Makefile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom