Unable to install Linux anyway

saswat23

Human Spambot
Guys I am facing problem in installing Linux.
First time I tried it with my old mobo (P8H67-M EVO), I couldnt and its still continuing with my current mobo (P8H77-M PRO). It just shows till the selection of language, after selection some lines of code run and then my screen goes blank or I get an error message. I tried Ubuntu 9.04 and 12.04 but none of these wrorked. Linux based bootable discs like OPH Crack, Bidefender Rescue disc are also not working. I just select the option (till the selection of lang. mostly) then some lines of code run and I get a black screen (with OPH Crack) and a black screen with Bitdefender's logo (with BD Rescue disc). And it stays like that till I restart it. Even my ODD's light doesnt blink.
:banghead:
This is happening from the day I assembled my PC. I thought my HDD was the culprit but I have already RMA'd my HDD around 6-7 months back. But still the problem persists with the new one too.
But strange thing is that all these work fine one my bro's i5 lappy and my sister's desktop that runs on i5-2310 with Asus P8H61-M LE mobo. I dont understand how. Today I ran BD Rescue disc on my friends dual core and core2duo system too. And it worked fine on their systems. But these are not working for me.

SO, what might be the problem? Is it my processor?

plz help me out guyz.

Update:
I tried to boot these from USB (converted them to USB bootable format using unetbootin). I got the same problem with Ubuntu and OPH Crack. BD rescue disc woked. But IMO it didnt work properly.

I am facing some prblem like the one posted here:
*forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267190

p!e

Broken In
I hope you are running the Linux on the configuration highlighted in your signature which includes a dedicated GPU.

Try running Linux on to the integrated Graphics of the processor. I hope it will run.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
just a hunch : upgrade or downgrade the bios version and try and :

It just shows till the selection of language, after selection some lines of code run and then my screen goes blank or I get an error message

post the error message.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
Upgraded BIOS yesterday only. But still the problem continues.

I had mailed Asus regarding this. This is the reply I got from 'em:
Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Technical Service.

Sorry, we don't officially support Linux on desktop motherboard.
We recommend you using windows OS.

Sorry for the trouble. Wish you a good day.

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Best Regards,
Cherry
ASUS Global Technical Support Center

I am really worried now. :-(

Update: I got this info from Asus website
*s20.postimage.org/gxjja6ljh/asus_linux2.jpg

Does it mean I cant run any Linux distro other than Fedora 15 and OpenSUSE 11.4??

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No that means they have tersted ypur mobo only with those two distros - anyway, downgrade the bios by two version and try some linux distros like BSD, slackware, mint or knoppix.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Each and every distribution should be working fine.

Download the latest Arch Linux ISO and burn it on a CD. *www.archlinux.org/download/

Try booting through it.

Alternatively try making a bootable USB drive and working. Give a try. *www.linuxliveusb.com/

I think I won't be buying an Asus product in future because of their silly reply.

OP
saswat23

saswat23

Human Spambot
k, will update after trying with Arch Linux.

About that bootable drive, I have already tried it for Ubuntu, BD Rescue disc and OPH crack. But nothing worked. BD rescue disc did boot but it didnt work (IMO).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
k, will update after trying with Arch Linux.

About that bootable drive, I have already tried it for Ubuntu, BD Rescue disc and OPH crack. But nothing worked. BD rescue disc did boot but it didnt work (IMO).

use Knoppix CD distro and install it on the HDD using Unetbootin and see what happens - note : it will add an extra entry on win boot menu to boot knoppix.

Top Bottom