Unable to install antivirus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scavanger007

On KillingSpree!!!
I am facing this problem since about 2 months. Whenever i try to install any antivirus on my Win XP OS, either it refuses to install (Avast) or if it installs , it refuses to run (Kaspersky). I think this is related to some virus existing on my HDD.

I have formatted my OS partition 3 to 4 times in these two months and reistalled the OS (due to some or the other problems caused by this virus/es. For eg, some softwares like KLite , Folder Lock etc can be initiated only within couple of minutes after the windows start. Make any more delay and i have to install the softwares again to run them and that too if i run them immediately after i install or else reinstall again:evil:)

I believe that it is the problem of some virus on my non-OS drive because i used my friend's Win XP cd to make sure there is no problem with my cd.

Also i cant format my HDD completely because there are quite a GB's of important data scattered on my HDD.So, if you guys can suggest some way to scan my hdd with antivirus from bootable disc or something like that.
Or if you guys think that the cause is something other than virus please guide in that direction as well.

Krow

Crowman
I hope some Linux users can help you here. Use a linux live cd, i think ubuntu live cd should do the trick, but wait for more advanced linux users as I am a Linoob as of now. I would recommend that if you backup all important data in the OS drive to other drives first. Format the OS drive and install any distro of linux like Ubuntu. Now clean your PC manually if you know which files are the viruses.

Otherwise, try EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition (its free) or Paragon Partition Manager(which is free for today only), if you have data in your OS drive. If not, then simply format again, reinstall OS, and use any AV burned in a CD (Of course son't burn a cd on your pc, burn on a virus free one) to install the AV. Once you have done this, make sure you update it (dl updates and then burn them to the same cd before you format). Update the AV from the cd itself. Don't connect to the net at all. Scan the whole PC and see if you can delete the viruses.

OP
scavanger007

scavanger007

On KillingSpree!!!
Yeah i hope i get some reply linux users soon.

Btw, as suggested by you in second part.
Do you mean to say that i should install AV and then burn it on some cd? And then reformat OS drive and run the AV, right? But as i said , out of the AV's which manage to install themselves, they still refuse to run after installation. I guess it is the virus which avoids the antivirus to run.
I wished there was some antivirus which would scan from cd during OS bootup.

I just hope that in the end i dont have to resort to the process of formating my whole HDD. :cry:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well about 5-6months ago I faced the same prblm like this.....

Avast refused to get installed and Kaspersky gets installed but refuses to run...

Even I also formatted the OS partition bcoz of some virus prblm.

But later I realized the virus wasn't completely get erased.

Tats y I backedup all the data in optical discs and formatted the whole HDD.

Aftrall everything went fine.

I think u too have the same prblm. I wud suggest to backup all the data and format ur whole HDD.

Well.......but b4 tat wait for other members to reply......

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Dats y I said u to wait to see what other member suggests.....

As my prblm may b different 4m ur prblm.....!!

But initially it luks like u r having the same prblm.....!!

Krow

Crowman
Yeah i hope i get some reply linux users soon.

Btw, as suggested by you in second part.
Do you mean to say that i should install AV and then burn it on some cd? And then reformat OS drive and run the AV, right? But as i said , out of the AV's which manage to install themselves, they still refuse to run after installation. I guess it is the virus which avoids the antivirus to run.
I wished there was some antivirus which would scan from cd during OS bootup.

I just hope that in the end i dont have to resort to the process of formating my whole HDD. :cry:
I mean burn AV setup to CD before format, from somebody else's PC. Then format and reinstall OS. Now, install AV from the CD.

allmighty

Broken In
get avira rescue system burn it on disk ...and boot and scan from it ...
also u can use bitdefender rescue cd ....

boosters

In the zone
Okay the same situation i have faced whenever i try to install any antivirus the setup was never loaded, so finally only one antivirus help me lots of time and the name is "Spyware Doctor". I know this will take too much memory but when your virus was deleted by SD than you can turn off their services. Now once a everyweek i scan my wholesystem with Spyware doctor :)

CA50

Cyborg Agent
There seem 2 b some autorun virus in the other partition. Boot using xp live cd n manualy select n delete suspicious then without going back 2 xp format ur c drive n instal ur os then ur av before instaling other softs. Hope dis u help u.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom