Unable to instal/runl software in W7 Home Premium x64, unless I right-click and "Run as Admin"

rajsujayks

CSE Freak!
I am using Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit edition in my Dell Inspiron 15R SE laptop ever since I bought it last October. I have 4 partitions - C, D, F and H. I have a Administrator user account and the Guest account turned on. I blocked access to Guest for D, F and H drives by denying all permissions in the Security tab of Properties. It was all fine for 8 months.
:|
Suddenly this month, Windows started acting weird. I couldn't run many programs unless I right-click on them and select Run as Administrator. This includes, any Java based software like Arduino or Processing and also software like Intel MyWiFi Technology and such.

If I do a right click and select Run as Administrator, they work fine.

I understand that this has something to do with permissions being denied in C drive. Most probably due to some permission mess up. Is there any way to reset every thing to default?

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I blocked access to Guest for D, F and H drives by denying all permissions in the Security tab of Properties.
If I do a right click and select Run as Administrator, they work fine.

I understand that this has something to do with permissions being denied in C drive. Most probably due to some permission mess up. Is there any way to reset every thing to default?

This is the catch. Most of them do this way, which is wrong. Rather add a specific user, and then block it by denying permissions.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings (UAC) > Slide down the bar to Never Notify

Though this is not at all recommended. This UAC settings have been introduced from Win 7 and followed in Win 8 too. It helps PC to be much less prone to virus attack as like Win XP and it's predecessors. Because even if you are Admin, this UAC Settings helps user to notify for administrative tasks like accessing Program Files, Windows folder in C Drive, installing software etc.

So unknowingly a virus cannot get installed as it used to be. But there are workarounds :p Though this settings comes as a basic level of security along with AV.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^He didn't mean UAC nandu, you got it wrong. It's about Access Control settings which allows admin to play around with rights of puny "users" and guests.

PS: I hate UAC. I disabled it the day I started using win 7. I know all the risk anyway, so it's redundant for me or for any acknowledged person.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
^He didn't mean UAC nandu, you got it wrong. It's about Access Control settings which allows admin to play around with rights of puny "users" and guests.

PS: I hate UAC. I disabled it the day I started using win 7. I know all the risk anyway, so it's redundant for me or for any acknowledged person.

Ohh sorry :(

Sorry for the wrong info @OP :(

Top Bottom