Unable to connect Dvd rom and Dvd writer together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi

i have intel 2.8gz(hyperthreading) processor and intel 915 gav orignal motherboard,512 m.b ram,80 gb sata segate hdd.i have an intex cabinet and a colorsit power supply(model no 300u-fne) which has a rating of 400w switching power.

i have dvd rom(sony) and a cd writer(l.g) i recently got a dvd writer(sony) from a friend now the problem is that when i connected the dvd writer in place of my cd writer and started p.c then it only showed dvd rom drive then i shutdown the p.c press the power cable and data cable of writer and start the p.c now i get only dvd writer.
i checked the bios, it only showed dvd rom drive the 1st time and only the writer the 2nd time.both the times when i press the eject button of either drive then the tray would come out but it was not shown in the my computer so i guess that both drives are getting power.
i also went to ctrl panel>administrative tools>computer management>disk management here also it showed only 1 drive both times 1st the rom and then the writer.
is my data cable faulty.
do i need to do some master/slave thing.i took out the jumper from the writer,should i put it back.should i make it master or slave.and also pls tell how to make it master or slave.

papai_mcc

Broken In
First decide whether u will make drive master or slave.Then according to that put the jumper in the appropritae pin.The port of IDE cable at the end is master and the port at the midst is slave one.

Tech&ME

Banned
@tango_cash

Actually, In case of Intel 915 GAV motherboards you are allowed to connect only one HDD as master and any one optical drive (dvd rom or dvd writer or cd writer) as slave in the IDE cable.

You can have separate SATA HDD which can be 4 in numbers together.

But the problem is you cannot have one optical drive(say DVD writer) as master and the other (say DVD ROM Drive) as slave in the IDE interface.

More over, The middle connector of the IDE cable is the SLAVE interface and the END connector is the MASTER and the other END goes to the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom