Unable to boot Ubuntu 12.10 from Flash Drive

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I just downloaded Ubuntu 12.10 Destop Edition and have been trying to install it. I tried both Unetbootin and Universal USB Installer. But, It's not booting. Need your help!

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
No, The problem is not with the USB Stick. I tried Installing Ubuntu 10.10 with the Same USB stick and it works. But, with Ubuntu 12.10, I get an error stating "Corrupt or invalid kernel".

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
I actually downloaded it through a torrent client. What is md5sum? How to verify it?

digit.sh

Journeyman
I actually downloaded it through a torrent client. What is md5sum? How to verify it?

You can verify if the ISO is corrupted or not without generating MD5 hash. Every torrent client has option to check the downloaded data. Right click on the torrent and click "force check data" or "check data". If the file is corrupted, it will show less than 100% complete, like 98% or so. If so, start downloading again. It will be OK.
If you already have removed the torrent, add it again but do not download. Then, overwrite the new ISO with the previously downloaded ISO(the corrupted one). Now do a "check data".

MD5 is an algorithm. MD5sum is a software that calculates MD5 hash of a given file. MD5 hash is a random string of characters.

In Ubuntu website they have generated MD5 hashes of the ISOs and published it. You download a ISO and generate MD5 hash of that file. If the generated hash matches the one published by Ubuntu, the ISO is OK.

Here is how to generate and check MD5 hashes.
and
List of Ubuntu ISOs and their MD5 hashes.

OP
Shah

Shah

Cyborg Agent
You can verify if the ISO is corrupted or not without generating MD5 hash. Every torrent client has option to check the downloaded data. Right click on the torrent and click "force check data" or "check data". If the file is corrupted, it will show less than 100% complete, like 98% or so. If so, start downloading again. It will be OK.
If you already have removed the torrent, add it again but do not download. Then, overwrite the new ISO with the previously downloaded ISO(the corrupted one). Now do a "check data".

MD5 is an algorithm. MD5sum is a software that calculates MD5 hash of a given file. MD5 hash is a random string of characters.

In Ubuntu website they have generated MD5 hashes of the ISOs and published it. You download a ISO and generate MD5 hash of that file. If the generated hash matches the one published by Ubuntu, the ISO is OK.

Here is how to generate and check MD5 hashes.
and
List of Ubuntu ISOs and their MD5 hashes.

Thanks for your help. Actually, the torrent was corrupt. The MD5 hashes didn't match. After "Force Re-Check", it is showing only 6%. Have to download it again.

ricky641b

Journeyman
Hey in future if u wanna download any linux distro then Here is one Good Software LinuxLive Usb Creator *www.linuxliveusb.com. From Here you Can download Hundreds Of Linux Distros including all the famous one's and it also it has Write option which will also Make Ur Flash Drive Bootable..Do check out this software .Very Useful...

Top Bottom