Status
Not open for further replies.

beverly

Right off the assembly line
How to get Vista to recognize and read a Ubuntu partition? A friend of mine has installed Ubuntu on his PC alongside Vista. He would like to know how he can get Vista to read and recognize the Ubuntu partition, so he can share and transfer data between the two. Any ideas please.

Last edited:

g160689

Broken In
simple, make the partition ntfs(i use it). Somewhere i found "fat" also works. ext3 or ext4 is not supported by windows.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think what g160689 means is a Buffer partition in which you can keep the common stuff.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
FAT32 & NTFS are supported by Ubuntu since ancient times.. FUSE & NTFS-3G are leading the bandwagon..

g160689

Broken In
Not possible to install Linux on NTFS or FAT.. do you even know anything about Ubuntu??
Definate install is not possible in ntfs. What i mean is you create another partition(ntfs) which can be used to share files among ubuntu and windows. I have been using ubuntu for some 5months now and still learning. By the way nobody knows everything about linux.:C_rabbit:

i think "beverly" is asking to access ubuntu /home partition in which ubuntu stores all the data and downloads by default and all installtions are done in /root. Its not possible to access ext4 i think however ext2/3 can be accessed using "ext2fs". NTFS and Fat32 are supported by ubuntu as well so to keep things common, its better to create logical drives of NTFS and put all the imp. data there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom