Ubuntu+XP Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varunnagwekar

Semi-Geek
Hi guys.

I'm planning to format and reinstall Xp Sp3 and Ubuntu 9.04. I have deleted my D: partition which is about 20 gb. So, here's how I'm planning to do this.
1: First install XP on C:
2: I will then copy the entire contents of the C:drive (Windows Xp) and put it in another partition in case something goes wrong or for the future, so that I will not have to install XP again in the future.
3: Then create a partition on the empty space.
4: And install Ubuntu.

So my question is, is the procedure that I am using right?
And two, if a few months later, if my XP becomes sluggish and I'll need to install XP again, can I just log into Ubuntu and copy all the backup contents back into the C: instead of installing XP again?

NucleusKore

TheSaint
You are a little confused.
*Install Win to C
*Mirror C to D using a program like Drive Image XML recovery
*Write to a DVD
*Delete D and install Ubuntu to the freespace created

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
1: First install XP on C:
Sounds good.
2: I will then copy the entire contents of the C:drive (Windows Xp) and put it in another
partition in case something goes wrong or for the future, so that I will not have to install XP again in the future.
Copying the contents of your C drive to another location won't save your Windows install if you botch the install procedure. Like Nucleus said you will need to make an image of the drive.
3: Then create a partition on the empty space.
4: And install Ubuntu.
Sounds good.
So my question is, is the procedure that I am using right?
And two, if a few months later, if my XP becomes sluggish and I'll need to install XP again, can I just log into Ubuntu and copy all the backup contents back into the C: instead of installing XP again?
I don't think a copy and paste would fix the problem and personally I haven't tried. As I said before I'd probably just make an image of the HDD after installing all the applications and just restore it. I keep all my data on a separate partition anyway. If you have a single hard disk I think the chance of breaking your install is quite low but I guess its always nice to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom