Ubuntu v/s Linux Mint

cancer10

ClubHost.in
Guys,

If you have used both Ubuntu and Linux Mint, I need your thoughts on both.

Ubuntu Homepage: Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

Linux Mint Homepage: Main Page - Linux Mint

I am using ubuntu at home but want to switch to Linux Mint as I am fascinated with its visual effects and support for more hardware.

Your inputs are required.

Thanks

6x6

Journeyman
ubuntu & linux mint are more or less same. if you are already using ubuntu then no need to change.
visual effects: can be applied in ubuntu
support of hardware: do you have problem in any hardware?

OP
C

cancer10

ClubHost.in
Few things I have noticed in ubuntu,

1. Does not come with wifi driver pre-installed.
2. Does not come with wvdial, so for people who want to connect to the internet via a USB modem (reliance net connect for example) cannot dial.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Ya you are right....though Linux Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu still it comes with many codecs and etc. as pre-installed. Both are good as they are almost same. I'd say if you are using Ubuntu stick with it. Shifting to Linux Mint won't make much difference. Also ubuntu has large user base and so a huge support which Mint lacks in comparison to Ubuntu.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Of course you can. But what type of visual effects you're talking about?? If you want docks then try glx dock, try Lin2Mac theme to make your Desktop look like Mac OS X. Use KDE for more eyecandy enhancement options.

OP
C

cancer10

ClubHost.in
Of course you can. But what type of visual effects you're talking about?? If you want docks then try glx dock, try Lin2Mac theme to make your Desktop look like Mac OS X. Use KDE for more eyecandy enhancement options.

Where do I download Lin2Mac from as I could not find it on google?

thanks

Garbage

God of Mistakes...

are you talking about Mac4Lin | Download Mac4Lin software for free at SourceForge.net

Top Bottom