Ubuntu Queries by MetalheadGautham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish you good luck in installing hardy. However if you have lesser than 512 MB may I recommend getting XFCE instead of using gnome. Although Hardy seems more responsive it does take a bit of memory .
I have 256. Will it do ?
I hate having to use Xfce. Its too ugly and unfunctional compared to my feisty's gnome and KDE.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I have 256. Will it do ?
I hate having to use Xfce. Its too ugly and unfunctional compared to my feisty's gnome and KDE.

*img125.imageshack.us/img125/643/gnomehe4.png

As you can see Im using about 500 MB no Hardy. At the moment I have Firefox , one Nautilus Window , XChat , Apache and some other services running.

I wouldn't use Gnome or KDE with 256 memory. Definitely I think Flux or Xfce is the way to go if you are low on memory.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I have 256. Will it do ?
Well, if you open 1 or two applications at a time then its good.
The problems comes when you open multiple applications .
You can install XCFE + Gnome, side by side.
KDE4 is big NO,version 3 is okay

*img125.imageshack.us/img125/643/gnomehe4.png

As you can see Im using about 500 MB no Hardy. At the moment I have Firefox , one Nautilus Window , XChat , Apache and some other services running.

I wouldn't use Gnome or KDE with 256 memory. Definitely I think Flux or Xfce is the way to go if you are low on memory.
take a look at this then:
*img372.imageshack.us/img372/4510/sysmonkn5.th.png
as you can see, the shortage in memory is overcome by usage of swap. I was running system monitor, firefox, jack rack, jack server, and installing rtlinux via terminal. Plus, my system is highly customised. And I run ubuntu feisty.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
as you can see, the shortage in memory is overcome by usage of swap. I was running system monitor, firefox, jack rack, jack server, and installing rtlinux via terminal. Plus, my system is highly customised. And I run ubuntu feisty.

You would want to minimize the use of swap so that your system becomes a wee bit faster.

trublu

Ta da !
While trying to install vlc via synaptic pkg manager,I got the message
"Please insert the disk labeled:
Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071017)
in drive /cdrom/".I inserted the disc in my drive.But the same message again popped up.How do I fix this?

While trying to install vlc via synaptic pkg manager,I got the message
"Please insert the disk labeled:
Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071017)
in drive /cdrom/".I inserted the disc in my drive.But the same message again popped up.How do I fix this?
you might have selected local repositories.
if that was the case, you need to use the ubuntu dvd, not the cd.
but its better that you do it via internet.
so select the universe/multiverse repos as the installation repos.
then install vlc from synaptic or from commandline.
even better, do it from applications>>add/remove>>multimedia(or sound and video)

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Its too ugly and unfunctional compared to my feisty's gnome and KDE.

Guess , you havent used it or not for long enuf.

Tell me, What functionality do you miss?
And how exactly is it 'ugly' ?, both gnome and xfce use the Gtk toolkit and hence the same themes.

Gnome , IMO , is just too darn bloated compared to Xfce.

Guess , you havent used it or not for long enuf.

Tell me, What functionality do you miss?
And how exactly is it 'ugly' ?, both gnome and xfce use the Gtk toolkit and hence the same themes.

Gnome , IMO , is just too darn bloated compared to Xfce.
I can't do many things. The icons look bad. I can't install themes like I do in gnome. I find several other things restrictive in xfce.

Icons and Themes are the same in gnome and xfce.
I dont see how they look bad.
You can get a s/w like gnome color chooser to tweak xfce/gnome to ur liking.
how ? when I can't import xfce into gnome theme editor, and gnome themes some time slook disoriented in xfce, how can I theme xfce ?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Dude, there aint no such thing as gnome themes and xfce themes.
There are only gtk themes and they look the same wherever gtk is used.

To add a theme , extract the theme's contents to /usr/share/themes/ or ~/.themes/

Dude, there aint no such thing as gnome themes and xfce themes.
There are only gtk themes and they look the same wherever gtk is used.

To add a theme , extract the theme's contents to /usr/share/themes/ or ~/.themes/
there are differences. There are nore icons in the gnome set for one.
I think I will use gnome for stability and KDE for eye-candy, but instead of Xfce as my light weight environment, I am seriously concidering IceWM. [fluxbox is too complicated for me]

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
there are differences. There are nore icons in the gnome set for one.
I think I will use gnome for stability and KDE for eye-candy, but instead of Xfce as my light weight environment, I am seriously concidering IceWM. [fluxbox is too complicated for me]

Fluxbox is definitely not that complicated. And I was of the same understanding that RayRaven just said. I thought there were only Gtk themes etc. Not Gnome/XFCE themes. And also you can use any icon set in any Windows Environment unless Ive understood incorrectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom