Ubuntu Linux Validates As Genuine Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
"Another crack in the Windows Genuine Advantage wall. A user at UbuntuForums.org managed to validate an Ubuntu installation as a genuine copy of Microsoft Windows and get to the download page of Windows Defender, using IE4Linux and Wine. (Here is an OGG video of the process.) Along with the advancement of LiveCD technology, this could spell the end of Microsoft's control over who gets their updates."

source:
*linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/06/18/0037223.shtml
I just did this for a laugh and didn't expect it to work. I went to microsoft.com using IE4Linux ( *www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page ) and tried to download Windows Defender, on Xubuntu. Of course, I was asked to do the Genuine Advantage test. I used the alternate authentication method (IE4Linux doesn't support Active X), downloaded and then ran the genuine advantage application (which took quite a while to start). It gave me a code that I pasted into the authentication box, and to my surprise it verified me and forwarded me to the download page. This just goes to show how rubbish they're validation software is. I thought it was funny though, so I've uploaded a recording of it to rapid share, which you can get here:
*rapidshare.com/files/37580147/recording.ogg
(the file is about 10MB, so it might take a while to get)
*ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=2855871&postcount=1
So Now what to say? :D

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
hahahahhaha..LMFAO :D

Edit:

I just checked the video..Its so easy and So funny :D..I mean WGA check on a Linux machine and allowing u to download from microsoft.com :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom