Ubuntu is slow ??

gamebusterz

Right off the assembly line
I recently installed Ubuntu 12.04 alongside Windows XP , and unlike what i thought of it, Ubuntu is quite slow and has bugs. I didn't expect these normal bugs from this Open Source OS.
Like after clicking on any icon in the Dock, it doesn't open and i click it two times then two copies of the program open. Similarly, Yahoo Answers was not opening at all in the browser, i don't understand why.
Also some of my preferences for the Rythmbox and Chromium weren't saved after i restarted and i had to do it again.

Zak

Strange! I didn't got any of the complications.

How much is your RAM? Have you tried XP after the Ubuntu installation? How does it run?

OP
G

gamebusterz

Thanks ZAK for replying.

i have a 1 GB DDR2 RAM and Intel Pentium D (dual core)

But i think Linux is optimized for performing even on lower spec devices, that's what i have heard.
But anyways it isn't that laggy, its just take a bit more time in web-browsing and sometimes in opening files.the rest is fine, but i was just comparing it to my XP.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
@gamebusterz did you install all the necessary drivers you were prompted for? also try a alternate Browser (or update firefox to latest version)

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
did u checked (self diagnose)ubuntu cd before installing?

And how does that affects ubuntu performance ..

PS: For OP, clearly for latest Ubuntu , either your computer is so slow or it is not using best driver available for your computer..

dissel

Cyborg Agent
For me due to new unity environment it is slow than previous LTS edition. Though I don't have any problem as OP mention but the opening FF or any other browser takes time.

Opening any folder (Home Folder) from the dock also take time. I like the normal Gnome environment better. Is their anyway to ditch this unity and go back to older Gnome.

My system is almost 7 years old;

Intel P4 HT with 3.0 Ghz, Total 2GB 400 Mhz DDR2 Ram, 250 + 500 GB HDD, Intel 945GTP with on-board graphics.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Hi dissel, in your case, I would suggest you to increase your RAM , may be it is swapping too much data to disk. See if swapping between running application takes time, then your saviour would increased RAM.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
For me due to new unity environment it is slow than previous LTS edition. Though I don't have any problem as OP mention but the opening FF or any other browser takes time.

Opening any folder (Home Folder) from the dock also take time. I like the normal Gnome environment better. Is their anyway to ditch this unity and go back to older Gnome.

My system is almost 7 years old;

Intel P4 HT with 3.0 Ghz, Total 2GB 400 Mhz DDR2 Ram, 250 + 500 GB HDD, Intel 945GTP with on-board graphics.

Weak processor and graphics you have got. I would suggest Xubuntu. Gnome 2 like interface and would be a perfect fit for your hardware.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hi dissel, in your case, I would suggest you to increase your RAM , may be it is swapping too much data to disk. See if swapping between running application takes time, then your saviour would increased RAM.

Weak processor and graphics you have got. I would suggest Xubuntu. Gnome 2 like interface and would be a perfect fit for your hardware.

Thanks for suggestion, Ricky & Liverpool_fan.

Sorry for the late replying.....

Can you quote what is the recommended SWAP area for 2GB RAM ? Is it 4GB ?

For increasing RAM it is a big obstacle, As I believe my mobo support 400/533/667Mhz DDR2 RAM....Last I check 800MHz DDR2 Ram availble in the market.

I don't think any of them available in the market right now. If so they cost a Bomb.

-----------------------

My understanding here If I somehow remove/deactivate the dock, my system save some time for opening app/completely get rid of lag.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Just put a SWAP of > 2GB. 2.2GB or something will do fine. 1.1GB for 1GB etc.
You won't need a RAM upgrade if you move to Xubuntu. Trust me it's good.

Flake

Linux User
If you have 1GB+ RAM, there isn't any need of SWAP space for Desktop Machines. To be on safer side, create 512MB SWAP partition. Its more than enough for a machine having 1GB or more RAM.

Execute free command now n then, and you will know that, whatever or how many Applications you run, system isn't using any SWAP space most of the time.

Top Bottom