Ubuntu installation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunak

Tux Fan
I have two partitions on my HDD : a 10gb on on which vista is installed and a 65gb partition. i want to install ubuntu 6.x, how do i go about resizing and installing? i have got the iso file.

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
Actually i was asking which partition manager bet since the installer will do the resizing i guess that question is answered.

I have red hat 9 also [which i used to run before and am quite comfy with] should i install that, considering the comfort level or ubuntu?

another question will i loose data during resizing?

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
i say install ubuntu, as far as i know red hat 9 is like win 98 (old fart) lolz

rest simple method is go acronis.com and get the evaluation version of "Acronis Partition Expert" and resize your 65 gb partition in a way that 10GB is left Unpartitioned.

just run the partition expert properly, you won't lose any data.

and make the linux partitions through ubuntu installer on the 10 gb space you freed.

swap = 2*size of your ram and rest for root (/) volume

OP
shaunak

shaunak

Tux Fan
Final few questions
>Any other rezizing alternatives[non trial]
>which boot loader?
>Kde or gnome?
Imm using 512 Mb ram with onboard intel 865 graphics.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
>anything you like, norton partition magic, paragon disk manager & not trial i think Gparted is the only one you can get, you need to download it and burn to a cd (not sure bout Gparted)
>Ubuntu will install Grub by default, you don't have to worry.
>Ubuntu has gnome as default and further you can install Kde online.
btw, Kde and XCFe rocks

with 512 mb ram make the swap like 950 mb, that will do.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Use any Desktop Environment/Window Manager you like, 512 MB is enough.
GRUB is good enough boot loader to dual boot with windows and it comes by defualt in ubuntu.
For partitioning purposes, IMO, fdisk which is used by linux distros is the best around. But, yeah it's rather a sharp tool, if you mess around much with no knowledge then you can loose information, but if you are just careful enough, there will be surely no problem in partitioning.
And don't forget swap partition of 750MB to 1GB.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
The Ubuntu installer is very friendly while re-sizing (make sure u use the live CD to install). You will be able to choose the right settings very easily, and no data will be lost. The default is to resize the largest partition, which suits your case perfectly.. So dont worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom