Ubuntu Gutsy to be released today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
i'm downloadin the 64 bit edition, will my laser printer work with it, it worked perfactly with 32 bit fiesty fawn

vaithy

In the zone
The_Devil_Himself said:
?

Now I have several questions:
1.I can download .deb file for codecs but it is not feasible to provide them in additional CD to all of them so is there any way to integrate these codes in the same cd?
2.Digit provides atleast 1 distro every month....Is there any way to 'extract' distro from the bootable DVDs and burn them into Cds(I am planning to make Mint CDs).Unfortunately I don't have unlimited net connection.
3.How can I increase Linux awareness in my college?I mean even after you put up in all the notice boards that I am providing free Linux CDs not many students come up.This is very disheartening.Another day on of my close friends asked for Fiesty fawn CDs so I made one and gave it to him and the very next day he returned me my CD...I said what happened din't you like it?He said he has made .iso file and will use it later...This is inspite of the fact that I had explained in detail to him that he can 'try' this livecd before actually installing it...It is so difficult to generate interest specially in your nearest friends even if you provide them free CDs and DVDs.

Mod! can you put this in a separate thread?? So members can exchange thier experience and suggestions..to spread the awareness of Linux among the masses..
with regards,
Vaithy

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
I had downloaded Ubuntu 7.10 with great expectations. To my dismay i found after installation that, i wasnt able to configure the broadband. On issuing the sudo pppoeconf, i get this

"Sorry, I scanned 1 interface(s), but the Access Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please check the network card and modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may be another running pppoe process which controls the modem"

It worked without any hiccups in 7.04. Did some research of my own, came to know many faced it, even posted it in the ubuntu forum, but to no avail. Can anyone shed light into it ?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
hellknight said:
i'm downloadin the 64 bit edition, will my laser printer work with it, it worked perfactly with 32 bit fiesty fawn
Yes it'd absolutely work fine with the 64-Bit :)

I'm right now on Kubuntu 7.10 Live Session .. Installing :))

Will install KDE4 after install completes :))

P.s. Downloaded both Ubuntu and Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbons :)

praka123

left this forum longback
@cool_techie_tvm: Post in a separate thread if not solved as per below.
BTW,did u checked the o/p of "ifconfig" for ur ethernet "ethx" up or not.
also with access concentrator,check with "pppoe-discovery" command that dataone or other xDSL core server is really working?
access concentrator error means either dataone side is down(recent times during monsoon it was in ernakulam areas),else ur lan card is not detected or not up.
"ifconfig -a" will show all available network links.run sudo pppoeconf when ur lancard link eth0 or ethx is up.u can do it by "sudo ifconfig eth0 up" eth0 or eth1 etc depends.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
mehulved said:
Is KDE4 beta2(or3) available in gutsy install CD?
KDE 3.5.3 is only bundled with the CD. You got to install KDE 4 from the repositories :) And that version is Beta 3 now.

*kubuntu.org/announcements/kde4-beta3.php

And watch
*kubuntu.org/announcements/ for future updates :)

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I am very very upset today !!!
Yestarday I download kubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso and burned it CD at 11.45.pm. I was delighted to install it today. Early in the morning I started installation and its going fine upto 29% and a msg appear "Cannot continue installation, your installation cd is corrupted or CD drive lense need to be cleaned or HDD is old or bad etc. etc." istallation was aborted. Again I burned another CD, here also same thing happend. And I am failed to install the latest Distro.
With the upset mind again I installed the old version of Kubuntu 7.04 and lost all the updates made to 7.04 (approx 250 mb) also I lost 750 MB of Download of 1GB free download/upload of my HomePlan 250. Everything went on vain
Now I am not in a position to redownload it, because now I will be charged .90+taxes for per MB download/upload. Now no alternate till my shipit CD to arrive.

praka123

left this forum longback
^ask for a CD in the thread in open source section.someone will send it to u,u may need to bear the media cost and courier charges.

regarding updates u have downloaded.just make a backup of /var/cache/apt/archives directory for future use. :)
Hopefully gutsy will work for u.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
skghosh44 said:
I am very very upset today !!!
Yestarday I download kubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso and burned it CD at 11.45.pm. I was delighted to install it today. Early in the morning I started installation and its going fine upto 29% and a msg appear "Cannot continue installation, your installation cd is corrupted or CD drive lense need to be cleaned or HDD is old or bad etc. etc." istallation was aborted. Again I burned another CD, here also same thing happend. And I am failed to install the latest Distro.
Check the md5 checksum.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@mehulved - Default repos. kde4base-dev is the package which would do it I suppose. I still have to attempt it.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
praka123 said:
regarding updates u have downloaded.just make a backup of /var/cache/apt/archives directory for future use. :)
Hopefully gutsy will work for u.

Are bhai if It is known to me earlier. I have already formated the kubuntu 7.04 partition while installing 7.10. Now the update is volle volle !! Now kubuntu 7.04 is running without update.

praka123 said:
will forcing torrentclient for kubuntu able to fix errors in iso? :?
How to do this ?

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^search in forum..hopefully torrent can complete ur iso.if not ask this in q&a section of the thread.i hope u know about bittorrent and clients used like deluge or azureus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom