UBUNTU.. Good to begin ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Cool man, I am still waiting for my x86 and 64-bit CDs to come through still. :( I thought they usually send it to anyone who asks, so what's the point in ordering it again?

IG

Journeyman
man i prefer pcq or suse or rh..ubuntu is givin me problems....unable to mount my win partitions on it :(

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Weird, no problems here. Don't get me the wrong way, but sure you got the filesystems right? What hapens? You get a "already mounted or busy" error?

ujjwal

Padawan
First try to mount it manually (without fstab) by "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos/c"

Assuming hda1 is your win partition and /mnt/dos/c exists.

The filesystem type should be autodetected.

----

How is ubuntu in terms of pure speed? I heard it is Gnome based, so that would be a hindrance for old computers I guess ...

I ordered way back ... the site says they shipped in january ... lets see.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
IG said:
man i prefer pcq or suse or rh..ubuntu is givin me problems....unable to mount my win partitions on it :(

for mounting the partitions u'll have to create a root password... go to terminal

type 'sudo passwd root'

it'll ask for ur current password

now enter the new password... thats it now ur root account is enabled...

now go to terminal... type "su"

enter the root password

now type 'mount -t vfat /mnt/hda1 /home/C'

here vfat= fat32 partition

hda1= ur c: , hda5= d:. hda6= e:

u'll also have to create a directory to mount the partition in.... say direcotry 'c' in /home

ok to auto-mount go to /etc and edit the fstab file....

there enter the following lines

mount -t vfat /mnt/hda1 /home/C defaults 0 0
mount -t vfat /mnt/hda5 /home/D defaults 0 0

(if u have a d:)

suppose u want to enable the root user in ubuntu

System Configuration | Login Screen Setup | Security | Allow root to login with GDM

thats abt it :)

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Well, I wish to go back to UBUNTU... I hve also ordered the CDs from the UBUNTU website.. It has been two weeks since I ordered them.. They usually take 4 -6 weeks.. Lets see if I receive the CDs.. If not, IG I will ask you to amil me one or two....

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
No need IG to send the CDs to Saturn, I have received them.. A whole 44 CDs... Wonder what I will do with them.. Anyways, anyone interested in ordering UBUNTU Live and Install CDs for x86, AMD and PowerPC, log on to *shipit.ubuntulinux.org/ register and you are done. You will receive the CDs withing 1 month...
Now, whom should I give my CDs to...
One for Prakash, One for Sahil, One for Aditya..........................................................................................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom