UBUNTU.. Good to begin ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hi! Guys,I thought enough of using WINDOWS.. Now, I should definitely try my hands at LINUX... I thought which would be the best to begin with, searched all the DIGIT DVDs till now and decided to start with UBUNTU....
I have given the DVD to my frnd for him to burn the ISO on the CD-R. After the CD comes, what should I do? Should I start it as the computer starts or what ?? ?? Plz help me clear the basics....
Thanks !
Regards, Siddhartha :!:

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
1) Make two spare partitions ready for use.
2) Put the CD inside the drive and reboot.
3) Read the instructions and install
4) Reboot to finish installation and login to your newly installed Debian Box/

see, its so easy!

swatkat

Technomancer
If you want only Linux to be intalled in your system with Windows wiped out, follow the step indicated by ### and skip the first 1st step.

1]you can install Linux on any of your Windows drives.It's easy to install in the last logical drive you have or you can also use Free spcae if you have some.
Now, you have to make two partitions out of this last logical drive of windows or free space.
One for Swap and another for Root (/).

So, if you are using WinXP, you have the Disk Management Tool in Control Panel>Administrative Options.Using this, you delete the last logical Windows drive.(If you have Free Space, skip the deleting step)
Then,you split this newly formed Free Space into two parts, first one having a size equal to double that of your RAM (this is for Swap Space) and the second one will have remaining space(this will have larger space and it's for Root).Now Save and Exit and Restart to Windows.

If you are not using XP, then download/install utilites such as Disk Director Demo,Ranish Partiton Manager Free, Partition Magic and perform the same operations as above using any one of these softwares.

2]First go to BIOS (generally by pressing Delete key while the PC is switched ON), then choose your First Boot Device as CD Drive, the First Boot Device option should be under Boot section in new computers.

3]Put the Ubuntu CD in your CD Drive and wait for the Splash screen and press Enter to Boot.
Then, Select the Language, Country and all those things and wait for some time while Setup does it's duty.

4]Now, when you come to the Partitioning part, it asks to "erase and automatically partition entire disk", dont select this option, if you have some data in Windows Drives.So choose "Manual Partitioning".
Now, you will be seeing Partition Information of your Hard Disk.Here you select the small sized partition which was created in Windows (which is having twice the size of your RAM), and assign it as "Swap" using the options provided there.
Similarly, you select the partition you created in windows, and assign it "/ " (stands for Root) using the options.

###If you want the whole Hard disk to be occupied by Linux then select the "erase and automatically partition entire disk" option and continue. (This step is done instead of "Manual Partition")

5]After this choose "Finish" and continue with the installation.
Then comes the Boot Loader installtion.Here choose to install Boot Loader (GRUB) in Master Boot Record (MBR).
After this, installtion is almost over, Then follow the instructions to boot into Linux.

whoa...whew.....

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
well frankly for a new user ubuntu will be a bit tedious to install....

i enjoyed the setup very much... but for a newbie i would recommend something like xandros.. the installation is very simple and ideal for ppl installing for the first time...

otherwise use mandrake included in this month's isssue

again, in ubuntu the root user is disabled by default and u need to give sudo commands to enable it...
which i think is a bit too much for a first time user....

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
If its speed that you are after then Gentoo beats all distro any time. But its a bit difficult to install and needs some studing to run and maintain But once you get a hang then there is nothing thats even close to it.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
excuse me sir... is gentoo a BIT difficult? i mean he is a newbie dood! atleast don't confuse ppl

i'd say u install xandros/lycoris/mandrake

R

rohandhruva

Hi,

//siddhartha// : ubuntu is your best choice. i suggest that after u get a nice look and feel of linux upgrade to ubuntu hoary - if u have the guts and the net to go with it :)

Anyway, welcome to linux...

Rohan.[Edited Batty] Watch your words dude ..

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
More Questions...

Thanks, guys..
I hve a few more questions...
Can I use WIN XP and UBUNTU both? Moreover, how will I be able 2 mog on to the OS want 2 log on to?

Can I install it on any of my drives?

How much space will it take up?

Moreover, can I use office applications and other media based programs from Win XP in LINUX?

Anyways, Thank You all
Regards, Siddhartha

~Romil

Broken In
^^ Yeah, you can use WinXP and Linux on your system with dual booting. A thread guiding to that is somewhere in this forums, or an old issue of Digit.

See the Ubuntu install disk for the space requirement. If you tried the Ubuntu standalone disk, you would have seen OpenOffice applications working smoothly.
______
~Romil
This is phpBB too! CricketForum.info

swatkat

Technomancer
Re: More Questions...

//siddhartha// said:
Thanks, guys..
I hve a few more questions...
Can I use WIN XP and UBUNTU both? Moreover, how will I be able 2 mog on to the OS want 2 log on to?

Can I install it on any of my drives?

How much space will it take up?

Moreover, can I use office applications and other media based programs from Win XP in LINUX?

Anyways, Thank You all
Regards, Siddhartha
yeah...u can use both, when u switch ON the computer, u will recieve the option to go to either Windows or Linux....
The Linux Boot Loader detects the Windows, while installation, automatically and u dont have to worry...
u have WinXP right...then i have told in my post above, how to create the partition using tools in WinXP itself, and other installation steps including Boot Loader....

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
rohandhruva said:
Hi,

mail2and : screw yourself. ubuntu is the easiest, simplest distro. rocking!

Rohan.

mind ur language dude.... ok so u can join the "I am a lamer" club

even i said ubuntu is gr8.... but the text installaation is a hindrance for a newbie...

and tell me how can u expect a new guy to partition ????? without any help??

theraven

Technomancer
RIP rohandhruva
05 oct 2004 - 18th feb 2005

n00b pr*ck what do u think of urself flaming senior members like that ?

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Oh! Guys, Don't argue about the best LINUX, Definitely, each has his own views...
Oh! Yes, I am ready to install UBUNTU.. My frnd will give me the written UBUNTU CD 2moro... Should, I take any more special care during installation... Any tips, more ?
Thanks, Guys...
Regards, Siddhartha

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
yeah actually the installation is the new debian text one..

thats why i told mondrake or xandros will be gr8... coz they have graphical installation...

i too believe that ubuntu us the best.... i said that b4 too.. but lowsy ppl like rohandhruva just want to fight :)

neways welcome to the FREE world :d

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
mail2and
What confuse ? I was responding to the entry that UBUNTU is fast also read the entire content obviously gentoo is not for the "green horned " Did i not say its difficult? Come on baby read the entire post in totality.
By the way if its ease of inst and usage there are a lot of other options and a hot contender for that would be fedora core 3. It has a lot of eye candy and gives all the major features that a windows migrater would look for. The choice of a distro is not important and yes if the user is a real novice then the best thing is to use knoppix

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
OK, Well, I think I am ready 2 install UBUNTU.. Anyways, thank u so much 4 all the help guys.. I am comfortable with Non-Graphical installs even if they look a bit confusing... Thanks, evrybody.. I am stepping into the world of GNU/ LINUX... WISH ME LUCK !
Thanks again...
Regards, Siddhartha

IG

Journeyman
Guys i got 9 Cds of Ubuntu to give away courtsy the makers....i had reg'd on their site and they sent me ten cds in total.
Anyone in chennai who wants the cds can pm me and get them.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
you got the CDs? wow! i never received my copies :( poor me :( neways i just ordered again :D.. lets see if i hv some luck this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom