Ubuntu Edge - The phone that BEATS all other phones

sksundram

In the zone
Ubuntu Edge - The phone that BEATS all other phones in SPECS

This is UBUNTU EDGE

This is not a concept. This is actually happening. All Canonical (the force behind UBUNTU) needs is the funding of $32,000,000 by Aug 21. They have already raised $3,619,251 in 3 days (till the writing of this post) and will be delivering the handsets by MAY 2014

Technical specifications

Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
64 x 9 x 124mm

More info : Ubuntu Edge | Indiegogo

Last edited:

josin

In the zone
Re: Ubuntu Edge - The phone that BEATS all other phones in SPECS

Well camera and the screen are big disappointments. Should have been at-least a 13 meg one and a full hd screen.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ That is not show stopper. Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage ,Dual-LTE -> This is awesome and i don't give a sh1t about camera and 720p is more than enough.

josin

In the zone
Ya i agree its not a show stopper. Well i have to find out some flaws to it:lol: the most important part for us is this

What countries and mobile networks will support the Edge?

The Ubuntu Edge is an open device, not locked to any particular network. It works in all countries that provide GSM/3G/LTE-based network services. It will also support the two LTE standards to provide 4G mobile broadband connectivity around the world (subject to network availability and data fees). Before launch we will conduct interoperability testing with networks in Europe, the US, South America, China, India, the Middle East and Africa. This is a normal step in the process of developing a mobile device.

So they are planning to release it in INDIA too...GR8 news

josin

In the zone
40K seems all right to me ( in fact i am ready to pay even 45k for just that sapphire crystal--- i have a titan edge watch which has a sapphire crystal and i know its toughness, even after 4 years of daily use not even a single scratch on it) . But will they be able to mass produce it and who will be the maker of such a master piece?
If Sony /Lg makes it then we can expect gr8 quality.

Coldbreeze16

Journeyman
The first 50 devices for 8 Lakh. When the mass production kicks in the regular price will be 600$ (expect anything from 39~45K).

Btw Canonical must be getting the hardware building outsourced, wonder who it is: the dreaded Foxconn? And what about the vague term like fastest multicore proccy? ARM?

josin

In the zone
The first 50 devices for 8 Lakh. When the mass production kicks in the regular price will be 600$ (expect anything from 39~45K).

Btw Canonical must be getting the hardware building outsourced, wonder who it is: the dreaded Foxconn? And what about the vague term like fastest multicore proccy? ARM?

High chance for FOXCONN cause they are also based onTaiwan

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
hearing about this and then i thought what happend to it, and now here they are..

i think they should focus more on software developement and OS for phones first and then go into hardware business, the price is good, as you get a full fledged computer in the phone.

hope this works,

within first day they raised 2 million, so i think they will easily raise money for this.

hearing about this and then i thought what happend to it, and now here they are..

i think they should focus more on software developement and OS for phones first and then go into hardware business, the price is good, as you get a full fledged computer in the phone.

hope this works,

within first day they raised 2 million, so i think they will easily raise money for this.

Actually, they want to develop a phone to deal with the locked bootloaders of most of the current phones.

gameranand

Living to Play
why dont they just collaborate with huawei or lenovo ...there path will be much easier

They don't want the easier path. They want to do it the hard way. :D:D
Also there are some people who might not buy product from Lenovo or Huawei. :)

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
Awesome Design.
and 4 gigs of ram ?? :shock:
kill me if it ever comes below 45k :cool:

They don't want the easier path. They want to do it the hard way. :D:D
Also there are some people who might not buy product from Lenovo or Huawei. :)

dunno about huawei, but lenovo phones are worth buying, IMO.

Top Bottom