Ubuntu Discussion thread!

aaruni

The Linux Guy
I have never used mint. So, my answer would be biased towards Ubuntu. Maybe you want to wait for other replies ?

aaruni

The Linux Guy
mostly, everything works from scratch. But if you have exotic hardware, you might need some extra drivers. Just run Ubuntu from a live disk first and check whether everything is working.

TechnoBOY

Padawan
mostly, everything works from scratch. But if you have exotic hardware, you might need some extra drivers. Just run Ubuntu from a live disk first and check whether everything is working.
ok:) thanks a lot

- - - Updated - - -

BTW now the screen size fixed :)

Shah

Cyborg Agent
You can always download the .deb file from an internet connected machine, and then come back home and install it from that .deb file.

If you put it in the apt cache folder first, it will even install via apt.

Thanks. I never knew I could install packages that way. Worked like a charm. I had to manually download the dependencies, though.

Booted Ubuntu 13.10 from USB (didn't install it. Chose "Try Ubuntu"). I installed the build-essential package and then used the following commands to install "rt5370sta" module.

Code:
sudo su
make
make install
modprobe rt5370sta

As I hadn't installed the Ubuntu, I just restarted the module instead of restarting the PC using the following command.

Code:
modprobe -r rt5370sta

There were no errors. But, still I was not able to get my Wireless Adapter working. Can someone help me?

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Ubuntu Mate 14.04.1 - *ubuntu-mate.org/

- - - Updated - - -

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers virtualbox-guest-x11

What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate ?

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=171475]ankush28[/MENTION] how can i install it from a usb

OP
ankush28

ankush28

Bazinga
What is the difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Mate ?

- - - Updated - - -
@ankush28 how can i install it from a usb
1. Ubuntu Mate is fast and based on old gnome desktop. Suitable for low end laptops.
2. You mean virtualbox additions? You can install it by ISO - How do I install Guest Additions in a VirtualBox VM? - Ask Ubuntu

TechnoBOY

Padawan
1. Ubuntu Mate is fast and based on old gnome desktop. Suitable for low end laptops.
2. You mean virtualbox additions? You can install it by ISO - How do I install Guest Additions in a VirtualBox VM? - Ask Ubuntu
2.No i have downloaded .iso of ubuntu now i need to install it on lappy and need to know is there a possible way to do so.

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Yes you can. Just don't mess around with the system folders. Keep your files in your own folder(s).
For installing via USB we cant just copy the .ios file, we have to grt this Universal USB Installer ? Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
and my concern is that after doing so can i use my usb as normal?

aaruni

The Linux Guy
There is no need to format it. Just don't mess around with the stuff which was already there.

*edufor.fosspowered.com/img/image.php?di=AFQ2

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Bumping this thread with a guide that I created for Ubuntu in January 2015.

Link in signature (Ubuntu Guide for Newbies).

I wrote guides from a perspective of someone who is using Windows, and is totally new to Ubuntu. And then I indexed at one place in that link. It would help if people who are already using Ubuntu can suggest on the quality of the guides and anything that I can add.

I realized tapatalk users can't view links in signature.. So guide is The Ubuntu Guide | Vineet Kumar

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
For installing via USB we cant just copy the .ios file, we have to grt this Universal USB Installer ? Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
and my concern is that after doing so can i use my usb as normal?

Old post still replying,

yes you can use your USB drive as normal even when the ubuntu files are present. Just dont touch the file arrangement or the folder structure of the Ubuntu files and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom