Ubuntu crashes when the gfx card is installed...Pls help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

giprabu

In the zone
Guys..I'm new to linux..
My system is 5yr old .. I use Pentium 4 processor with a FX5200 256MB gfx card...
The problem is without my gfx card, ubuntu runs fine .. But when the gfx card is installed, all linux distributions crashes with a black-white strips...This happens with all linux versions...
Pls explain me in simple steps....

Last edited:

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Guys..I'm new to linux..
My system is 5yr old .. I use Pentium 4 processor with a FX5200 256MB gfx card...
The problem is without my gfx card, ubuntu runs fine .. But when the gfx card is installed, all linux distributions crashes with a black-white strips...This happens with all linux versions...
Pls explain me in simple steps....
Let me guess, you have an AsRock motherboard with an 'AGI' slot instead of a regular AGP slot, right? Actually, I also have the exactly same configuration and was having those same problems a few years ago. I figured out a solution myself and it worked for me. It's evident that 'AGI' slot doesn't play well with linux's 'agpgart' and as a result screw things up. I've posted the solution on my blog but I'm rewriting it here.

Anyone having the cards have to install and boot into linux using integrated video chips. Once installed, u have to first blacklist the AGPGART module to sync with Kernel. For example, in Ubuntu, go to

Code:
nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
and in the last line of the file add
Code:
blacklist agpgart
Then add ur onboard agp by adding
Code:
blacklist manufacture_agp
Insert ur mainboard’s video chip manufacturer’s name such as
Code:
blacklist intel_agp
Save the file.
Install envy from *albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html for installing nVidia or Ati video drivers.
After successful installing envy will ask whether it would modify the xorg.conf file.
Restart, and switch to the AGP card instead of onboard card from your BIOS. Log on into Linux. It should be running with the AGP card now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom