Ubuntu 8.10 Installation Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddy_in65

Journeyman
I have Dell 1525 laptop and it has 2 partition C 120GB and D 40GB with vista installed on C. When i tried to install Ubuntu, it shows 100% blank Disk and it wasnt detect C and D drive, i tried to partition it during installation by selecting manual partition. I created 40GB for ubuntu and click on forward, it shows "No root file system found". I am unable to install it. If the installer shows 100% blank disk does it mean it would wipe out C and D. How should i select Root System. Please help me.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Install partition manager on windows ....Delete ur last partition D ...Now boot from Ubuntu CD ..and select that unallocated partition as ur root drive by putting a / ..After that u will have dual boot system

But a caution DO NOT INSTALL UBUNTU if u want ur HD to survive ..Dload Fedora 10 and install that

Read here *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103557

vamsi360

Always confused
Follow this:

1.Select manual partitioning in setup
2.Now delete the 40GB drive
3.If your RAM is 2GB create approx. 4GB of swap partition
4.Next create an ext3 partition with mount point "/"(root) of atleast 10GB
5.If you want use the remaining space and create a new partition ext3 with mount point /home (i recommend it as your data may be large)

Thats it!

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Don't frighten him about Ubuntu

GO here
*ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues#Drives_which_perform_frequent_head_unloads_under_Linux

and see if your hard disk is listed. You can get your hard disk model number from the device manager in windows. If it matches then stay away from Ubuntu.

vamsi360

Always confused
For creating Swap partition do i need to create another unallocated 4GB partition as my ram is 2GB.

Dude you and I both are in trouble. I too have an Inspiron 1525 with linux and is listed in the link given by NucleusKore. So it is nice to be away. I think fedora has no problems try that...

OP
maddy_in65

maddy_in65

Journeyman
Dude you and I both are in trouble. I too have an Inspiron 1525 with linux and is listed in the link given by NucleusKore. So it is nice to be away. I think fedora has no problems try that...

Ok but is there any problem with Dell on installation of Ubuntu, i had another HP laptop and i am using ubuntu 8.04 with charm.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Don't frighten him about Ubuntu

GO here
*ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Known_issues#Drives_which_perform_frequent_head_unloads_under_Linux

and see if your hard disk is listed. You can get your hard disk model number from the device manager in windows. If it matches then stay away from Ubuntu.

Better to stay away from Ubuntu till bug is solved ;)

vamsi360

Always confused
Ok but is there any problem with Dell on installation of Ubuntu, i had another HP laptop and i am using ubuntu 8.04 with charm.

All versions of Ubuntu work on 1525 inspiron, even Dell ships Ubuntu with Inspiron 1525 in some countries and even has a wiki page and a Dell Ubuntu exclusive distro.

Dell states no problem with this bug but better to be sensible with this for some time.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
For creating Swap partition do i need to create another unallocated 4GB partition as my ram is 2GB.
Even 2GB will be enough. If you need to increase size for swap, you can create a file on another partition later and the performance will be same as that of separate swap partition provided you are using latest version of kernel.

Open the link provided by NucleusCore, your doubt will be cleared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom